• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protection from malice intent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scttech

I'm not sure if this is the exact location for this thread, but I hope to get some discussion on my issue. My wife's father passed away and there was property inherited and distributed to 4 children. One of the brothers is not to be trusted and since he does not have the funds available to purchase one of the properties, may go above and beyond the "ethical" means to get the funds necessary to purchase the property (if he cannot pay for the property in full, it will be sold). Either he or one of his friends would be more than willing to try and attempt malice activity in order to get the end result. (To provide more feedback: this same sibling repeatedly gives out keys to their property in spite of the constant complaints of the other siblings. There was a meth lab on the property and one of the friends was busted and is currently in jail. The brother was not indicted, but this is the example of having friends in "low places")

One of my concerns is that he will take every measure necessary to injure either himself or one of his friends on the property so as to sue his 3 siblings. I need to know the following given this situation:
> What actions are necessary to protect our own family assets?
> To what extent would we be responsible (in case this scenario actually took place)?
> Would I, as the spouse to one of the siblings, be liable even though my name is not on the Will of the Deceased?

My biggest concern is that we need to personally protect ourselves in case there is an intentional injury on the family property and we don't know what to do first. Thank you in advance for your thoughts & suggestions on this.

The my family and the property are both located in the state of Tennessee.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">