• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protection from suits in a boat cruise.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmarc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

Four of us are organizing a 3-hr boat cruise. We don't own the boat and are not driving it. We're paying as a 4-person group, for 150 people who all pay us their share (ticket) in advance. Sort of a paid high school reunion.

There will be drinking on the boat. The boat company says they do not make anyone sign anything.

But a team member is afraid a guest could sue us, directly. We're thinking about a liability waiver form, signed by guests.

But that's a hassle. And might be contentious.

So I'm thinking incorporate for our 4 person group. What think? Thanx.

pmarc

paying boat directly

1. you're implying direct payment absolves us?

2. the boat company would have to correlate 150 individual checks with our cruise - asking for trouble; this is a charter company so we're not the only cruise event.

xylene

You should contact one or more independent insurance agent and/or one more direct writer of event insurance policies and then roll the cost into the ticket price. :)

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

... So I'm thinking incorporate for our 4 person group. What think?
I like Xylene's suggestion (although an increase in ticket prices may lead to greater dispute than having guests sign liability waivers ;)) and I like the suggestions offered on the other thread I linked to - better than incorporating your four-person group for a one-time 3 hour boat cruise.

It is important to note that nothing at all can prevent a lawsuit if someone is intent on suing. Your goal should be to limit as much as possible your personal liability in the event of a suit.

pmarc

more...

There is no (obvious) insurance service for this niche requirement.

My homeowner's policy did not cover...my team mates are checking theirs. Also looking at the homeowner's insurance "surplus market" for available vendors.

Incorporating not good since maritime laws allows suits even 1-3 years post-incident. So my idea of paying the state's quarterly inc fees, for only one quarter, is counter-productive. Expensive solution, otherwise. We'll continue looking around and will return here shortly, thanx for all your time.

quincy

There is no (obvious) insurance service for this niche requirement.

My homeowner's policy did not cover...my team mates are checking theirs. Also looking at the homeowner's insurance "surplus market" for available vendors.

Incorporating not good since maritime laws allows suits even 1-3 years post-incident. So my idea of paying the state's quarterly inc fees, for only one quarter, is counter-productive. Expensive solution, otherwise. We'll continue looking around and will return here shortly, thanx for all your time.
What you want is liability insurance not unlike the type of liability insurance schools have when they organize and sponsor student trips. Schools will also have parents sign liability waiver forms in advance of the trip.

Nothing can prevent a lawsuit, as I mentioned earlier, and you can still be held liable for any criminal acts or intentional harm inflicted on the attendees.

I recommend you sit down with your insurance agent and go over the type of liability insurance and the amount of coverage that is needed, and go over with the agent the type of waiver of liability forms you will want your attendees to sign in advance of the cruise.

This is not unusual insurance.

And, yes, incorporating for the purposes of this 3-hour event was not going to be a solution for you. :)

pmarc

and more...

Event insurance was what I was looking at. Several prominent sources said they don't do anything for what we're doing.

I changed to marine / charter insurance. Yes, for skippers owning a boat for a variety of purposes.

Talked with my homeowner's ins policy guy. Nope.

I will persist for event ins and I'll call some schools.

pmarc

and more...

There's no blatant insurance for what we need. Event insurance falls short, once you go on the water. They insure practically any other event. As long as it's on land.

Way to find it is call a gen liability insurer. They go out to construct the offer with whomever they find to partner with. I'm doing that.

Even better: I asked the boat company to add us to the personal injury part of their policy. We'll see.

I don't need cancellation insurance. Although someone may throw that in as a bonus.

pmarc

upshot

Won't be finalized til July, when the boat company renews it's insurance policy. They are adding us to their policy for our event.

They say historically, chartering parties have not gotten their own individual insurance to supplement the boat's, and the boat is charging us nothing. We'll review their policy later to see how important extra ins will be.

Meantime, we await one ins agency to see what they're offering. My guess is if we need to add our own insurance the price will be $300-$500.

Thanx for all your time. I'll check back for new ideas from you all soon, if there are any.

best,
Paul

quincy

Won't be finalized til July, when the boat company renews it's insurance policy. They are adding us to their policy for our event.

They say historically, chartering parties have not gotten their own individual insurance to supplement the boat's, and the boat is charging us nothing. We'll review their policy later to see how important extra ins will be.

Meantime, we await one ins agency to see what they're offering. My guess is if we need to add our own insurance the price will be $300-$500.

Thanx for all your time. I'll check back for new ideas from you all soon, if there are any.

best,
Paul
You are preparing yourself nicely for the reunion boat cruise. That is smart. With luck, you will not have to make use of the insurance and the boat cruise will be a fun and safe time for all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">