• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

psychological damage/ emotional distress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cicerolegal9

Hello, I need good legal advice i can give to my friend. This past summer she was part of sorority initiation in which she was held in a dark room, not allowed to leave. Members of the sorority wore masks and tormented her and a few girls. They threatened to release dogs on them and brought weapons in, flaunting them. She and the girls were broken down to tears. She hasn't recovered from the whole ordeal and she now has depression and suicidal thoughts. I want to convince to her to take action, please help me with good legal advice. Thanks,

Sincerely,
Cicero P.

tranquility

Ah, the classics.

Been happening for hundreds of years and, notwithstanding freedom-minded people who....a....don't like freedom, will be happening for hundreds of more.

I assume the victim was an adult when she voluntarily sought out membership of the sorority. There have been a number of movies out regarding what happens to pledges of fraternities/sororities, has the victim seen any? I suspect she knew what she was getting into, even if she didn't know how deep. That would not absolve the others if they did something wrong criminally, but it would put a damper on outrage on things which flowed predictably from the moment of agreement.

More facts would be needed. I'm not sure there has been ANY legal wrong here as waiver or consent are a defense to many torts. A key issue is if the person said "stop" (or the equivalent) and the hazing continued. Then, there may be an argument the actions went beyond the consent.

I know someone will point out something about school rules or whatever and how the behavior violates it. That does not make it legally actionable, but it could go to understanding what the victim felt she were consenting to.

Just Blue

Hello, I need good legal advice i can give to my friend. This past summer she was part of sorority initiation in which she was held in a dark room, not allowed to leave. Members of the sorority wore masks and tormented her and a few girls. They threatened to release dogs on them and brought weapons in, flaunting them. She and the girls were broken down to tears. She hasn't recovered from the whole ordeal and she now has depression and suicidal thoughts. I want to convince to her to take action, please help me with good legal advice. Thanks,

Sincerely,
Cicero P.
US Law only.

ecmst12

Most schools are really cracking down on hazing, if they can find out about it. Of course, if your friend is now a member of the sorority, she's not likely to want to report them. She doesn't have any kind of legal case though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">