• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions from Health Insurance Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dartuck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana (accident)/Ohio (residence)

Over the 4th of July weekend, I was staying at a buddy's place in Indiana (I live in Ohio). He has some significant acreage. He has a Polaris Ranger, which is a 4 wheel drive off-road vehicle with a roll cage. I was driving (alone) on his property, when I rolled the vehicle. I ended up with 4 fractures in my arm. This required an initial stop at a local hospital, an ambulance ride to a larger hospital, subsequent surgery and a 24 hour stay.

In the mail, I received a form from my Health Insurance company asking me about some specifics regarding the injury.

Specifically, they want to know:
1. Was I on private property and if so, who's property
2. They wanted to know if this was a "vehicle" and whether I had filed a claim with my auto insurance company

My concerns are (a) they will try and recoup costs from my friend's insurance. (b) They will try and recoup costs from my auto insurance company.

This was me being silly on an ATV; me driving it; me rolling it. It just happened to be my buddy's off-road vehicle and his property. I do not want him to be impacted by this, but additionally, I don't want my health insurance company not to honor their portions of the costs.

Can I get some advice (even if it's go see a lawyer) on providing the information to my insurance company, but also protecting my buddy and myself?

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana (accident)/Ohio (residence)

Over the 4th of July weekend, I was staying at a buddy's place in Indiana (I live in Ohio). He has some significant acreage. He has a Polaris Ranger, which is a 4 wheel drive off-road vehicle with a roll cage. I was driving (alone) on his property, when I rolled the vehicle. I ended up with 4 fractures in my arm. This required an initial stop at a local hospital, an ambulance ride to a larger hospital, subsequent surgery and a 24 hour stay.

In the mail, I received a form from my Health Insurance company asking me about some specifics regarding the injury.

Specifically, they want to know:
1. Was I on private property and if so, who's property
2. They wanted to know if this was a "vehicle" and whether I had filed a claim with my auto insurance company

My concerns are (a) they will try and recoup costs from my friend's insurance. (b) They will try and recoup costs from my auto insurance company.

This was me being silly on an ATV; me driving it; me rolling it. It just happened to be my buddy's off-road vehicle and his property. I do not want him to be impacted by this, but additionally, I don't want my health insurance company not to honor their portions of the costs.

Can I get some advice (even if it's go see a lawyer) on providing the information to my insurance company, but also protecting my buddy and myself?

Thanks!
You are contractually required to provide the information. If you don't, then you may be directly responsible for the bills.

ecmst12

They just want to know if someone else is liable for your injuries and if so, if you're pursuing a claim. They won't try to go after your friend directly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">