• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roof collapsed while shopping at a store, not injured though

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Preserved

I stopped at a business to buy a few things, when a large section of the steel roof collapsed. I jumped out of the way, and was not harmed. My wife was also under the roof, and escaped injury by luck only. I didn't know this going in, but the store had a crew working on the roof at the time removing snow build up, which was the "straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak. I feel that the business should have closed off the area and not allowed patrons under the roof while it was worked on, or until deemed safe. Someone slower than me, or hard of hearing could have been killed. My wife was also under the roof, was unaware when it came down and fortunately a couple of support posts prevented the roof from crushing her.

Ultimately, corrosion of the steel support structure, the snow load, and perhaps uneven weight distribution due to the crew shoveling the snow was the cause of the collapse.

We were rattled, but uninjured. Do I have any sort of case against the store?

quincy

I stopped at a business to buy a few things, when a large section of the steel roof collapsed. I jumped out of the way, and was not harmed. My wife was also under the roof, and escaped injury by luck only. I didn't know this going in, but the store had a crew working on the roof at the time removing snow build up, which was the "straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak. I feel that the business should have closed off the area and not allowed patrons under the roof while it was worked on, or until deemed safe. Someone slower than me, or hard of hearing could have been killed. My wife was also under the roof, was unaware when it came down and fortunately a couple of support posts prevented the roof from crushing her.

Ultimately, corrosion of the steel support structure, the snow load, and perhaps uneven weight distribution due to the crew shoveling the snow was the cause of the collapse.

The store was incredibly lucky that no one was injured - and you and your wife were incredibly lucky.

If you are in Massachusetts or in one of the states that has had enormous snow falls this winter (you failed to mention your state name), there will probably be more roof collapses this winter - both house and business roofs - so people need to be cautious.

I agree with STEPHAN, though. If you or your wife did not suffer any injury, you have nothing to support a case against the store.

STEPHAN

You can of cause always write a letter to the CEO and see if they compensate you in any way.

quincy

Clean underwear?
Hahahaha. :)

I imagine that the company is going to have a lot of expenses just fixing the roof. I can see this same type of roof-collapse happening throughout the East, especially where you have large expanses of flat roof.

Compensating for near-misses might make some sense for fast-food restaurants, because they can hand out food coupons, but I do not see most companies being able to do this easily. I guess it depends on the business.

And whether this happened in the US or not.

ecmst12

Also, we don't know that NO ONE was injured. We only know that OP and his wife were not injured. Others may not have been so lucky.

single317dad

You don't, but your county building commissioner may (or may not) take interest in the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">