• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the school liable for this injury?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladyaz75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My son was injured (broken leg) while partcipating in a school activity. Coach was present and as soon as it happened, my son called me to come pick him up and take him to the ER (not the coach). I called the school the next day to ask how their insurance works and they simply said "you will handle this on your own, and if you feel the school is liable, fill out a claim form". I can give more detail if neccesary but I'd like to know if the school's insurance should be covering this? It happened on school grounds, without much training or support,if you ask me. I was not aware my son was doing the type of activity they had asked him to. Thoughts? Advice? Thank you.

ecmst12

It's unlikely they are liable but their insurance may still cover the medical bills if you fill out the claim form as instructed.

OHRoadwarrior

Generally, you are responsible for providing insurance for your children, not the school. Are you claiming the school failed in their obligations, which somehow caused your child to break their leg?

I'mTheFather

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My son was injured (broken leg) while partcipating in a school activity. Coach was present and as soon as it happened, my son called me to come pick him up and take him to the ER (not the coach). I called the school the next day to ask how their insurance works and they simply said "you will handle this on your own, and if you feel the school is liable, fill out a claim form". I can give more detail if neccesary but I'd like to know if the school's insurance should be covering this? It happened on school grounds, without much training or support,if you ask me. I was not aware my son was doing the type of activity they had asked him to. Thoughts? Advice? Thank you.
I think the school offered the best advice. Fill out the claim form. If it's denied, come back and fill in the details.

ladyaz75

Usually the school sends home a waiver for any student that participates in any physical activity. That was not done here. This was a one time cheer event that my son is not trained for, not to say that is he basis of my claim. However, he was participating from the instruction of the cheer coach and doing back flips. In this case, he did the drill and the back flip and no one else was on the same page or so it seems. They did not catch him and he fell on his leg ( I still dont understand how that happened). The normal practice had been in the gym, this day it was on the field outside. The Principal confirmed with me that the cheer coach said he didn't know how or why this happened and that they were very sorry. Im fine with my insurance covering this and he has already had his surgery. However, I did have to pay the $3K deductible and another $600 in Dr. visits out of my own pocket. I don't plan to sue at all. Just want to the schools insurance to pay my out of pocket. I guess the way I see it, if someone came to my home and was injured, they would seek out my homeowners to pay for their injury. Isn't this sort of the same thing?

ecmst12

It depends on what kind of insurance the school has - maybe. That's why you need to submit your claim!

ladyaz75

I do appreciate you all taking time to answer my questions. I will submit the claim and hope for the best. If not, I will definately chalk it up as a learning experience. No more back flips at school...for anyone!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">