• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sheriff Backed Over Dog, Got Out To See What He Hit, Then Fled!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MyDeadDog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My nephew owns a aging dog 11 years old and blind in one eye. The dog is also deaf and is in the habit of laying in my nephew’s warm dirt driveway. Dogs are like that. This driveway is near the end of a long, rural side road that dead ends.

Two days ago a County Sheriff's deputy was driving down the rural side road apparently on patrol. When the Sheriff's deputy reached the dead end, he back up into my nephew's driveway and ran over the sleeping dog. The dog was severely injured and in great pain and suffering. And yet, this Sheriff's Deputy, with callous disregard of the injury and pain he had caused, just left the scene of the accident without sending for an ambulance or any other medical assistance for the injured dog. He just left.

When my nephew returned home about 90 minutes later, the dog was still laying in the driveway crying and moaning in pain. My nephew was overwrought with emotional pain in seeing his 11 year companion and beloved family member being callously left in the road to die alone in a most painful and slow death. Summoning his courage, my nephew gently lifted his crushed, but still living dog, into his car and drove 1 hour to the only animal hospital of which he was aware.

This seemingly unending drive was excruciating for both my compassionate nephew and his crushed dog, as during the hour long drive along rural roads he suffered the non-stop crying, yelps, and sickening moans coming from his gravely injured dog. Upon examination by the hospital Veterinarian, my nephew was told that it was too late to save the dog's life now and that it would be more humane to put the dog down. To ease both his own suffering and his beloved companion's excruciating pain, my nephew agreed to have his 11 year companion euthanized.

Something is majorly wrong with an Officer Of The Law, sworn to "Serve and Protect", to negligently back over ANY living creature, human or canine, and then to callously drive away leaving the dog in excruciating pain and suffering, without even having the decency and human compassion to call for medical aid for my nephew's injured dog.

Had the Deputy done what any reasonable and prudent human being or police officer would have done, i.e. immediately summon medical assistance, my nephew and his innocent dog would have been spared unnecessary and excruciating pain and mental anguish. They might have even SAVED the dog's life. But because the Deputy failed to offer any medical assistance whatsoever, grievous pain and suffering was inflicted on both my nephew and "His Best Friend".

Neither the offending Deputy nor the Pierce County Sheriff's Office has contacted my nephew by any method to express their compassion and apology for the grievous malfeasance of the Deputy in question. How disgusting and inhumane. The Deputy just callously drove away leaving this tragedy lying in the driveway. Probably thinking, "What dog?"

This occurred in Pierce County, Washington. My Nephew is unemployed and of meager financial resources. He sorely needs legal assistance and a compassionate Tort Law Attorney willing to help him hold the Deputy and the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department morally and financially responsible.

Does my Nephew have a sound legal case and may we please get a local, bulldog Attorney to help him find justice?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My nephew owns a aging dog 11 years old and blind in one eye. The dog is also deaf and is in the habit of laying in my nephew’s warm dirt driveway. Dogs are like that. This driveway is near the end of a long, rural side road that dead ends.

Two days ago a County Sheriff's deputy was driving down the rural side road apparently on patrol. When the Sheriff's deputy reached the dead end, he back up into my nephew's driveway and ran over the sleeping dog. The dog was severely injured and in great pain and suffering. And yet, this Sheriff's Deputy, with callous disregard of the injury and pain he had caused, just left the scene of the accident without sending for an ambulance or any other medical assistance for the injured dog. He just left.

When my nephew returned home about 90 minutes later, the dog was still laying in the driveway crying and moaning in pain. My nephew was overwrought with emotional pain in seeing his 11 year companion and beloved family member being callously left in the road to die alone in a most painful and slow death. Summoning his courage, my nephew gently lifted his crushed, but still living dog, into his car and drove 1 hour to the only animal hospital of which he was aware.

This seemingly unending drive was excruciating for both my compassionate nephew and his crushed dog, as during the hour long drive along rural roads he suffered the non-stop crying, yelps, and sickening moans coming from his gravely injured dog. Upon examination by the hospital Veterinarian, my nephew was told that it was too late to save the dog's life now and that it would be more humane to put the dog down. To ease both his own suffering and his beloved companion's excruciating pain, my nephew agreed to have his 11 year companion euthanized.

Something is majorly wrong with an Officer Of The Law, sworn to "Serve and Protect", to negligently back over ANY living creature, human or canine, and then to callously drive away leaving the dog in excruciating pain and suffering, without even having the decency and human compassion to call for medical aid for my nephew's injured dog.

Had the Deputy done what any reasonable and prudent human being or police officer would have done, i.e. immediately summon medical assistance, my nephew and his innocent dog would have been spared unnecessary and excruciating pain and mental anguish. They might have even SAVED the dog's life. But because the Deputy failed to offer any medical assistance whatsoever, grievous pain and suffering was inflicted on both my nephew and "His Best Friend".

Neither the offending Deputy nor the Pierce County Sheriff's Office has contacted my nephew by any method to express their compassion and apology for the grievous malfeasance of the Deputy in question. How disgusting and inhumane. The Deputy just callously drove away leaving this tragedy lying in the driveway. Probably thinking, "What dog?"

This occurred in Pierce County, Washington. My Nephew is unemployed and of meager financial resources. He sorely needs legal assistance and a compassionate Tort Law Attorney willing to help him hold the Deputy and the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department morally and financially responsible.

Does my Nephew have a sound legal case and may we please get a local, bulldog Attorney to help him find justice?
And how does your nephew know that the sheriff did this if he was not home? How does he know the sheriff got out of the car, looked, and took off? What evidence does he have? Dogs are property. Your nephew cannot get pain and suffering for the dog.

justalayman

to start with, and I suspect you will here this a lot;

it was a dog.

Dogs are nothing more than property in the US. They have no value short of market value. An owner does not get pain and suffering or compensation for emotional distress.

You write as if somebody saw what happened. If they did, why didn't they take the dog for treatment? If not, how do you know what happened?

The only thing I can see is filing a report against the officer for cruelty to animals. You are right, leaving an injured dog to lie in pain for an hour and a half after inflicting the injury is cruel and should not be tolerated.

LdiJ

Does my Nephew have a sound legal case and may we please get a local, bulldog Attorney to help him find justice?[/QUOTE]

Probably not in the way that you would imagine. If its true its disgusting and may get the deputy fired, and may get the sheriff's department held responsible for the vet bill, but its unlikely to go beyond that. Which also means that its unlikely to convince a local attorney to handle the case on contigency. Its not impossible, but not necessarily likely.

MyDeadDog

And how does your nephew know that the sheriff did this if he was not home? How does he know the sheriff got out of the car, looked, and took off? What evidence does he have? Dogs are property. Your nephew cannot get pain and suffering for the dog.
Neighbor saw. If there was "no pain and suffering involved", what in your opinion is the "property" worth before and after it's unsolicited demise? Must we depreciate that value over 11 years? Can Nephew get restitution for mileage to the doggy hospital and $100 for the injection to put the dog out of his pain and suffering he apparently was not authorized to feel?

Sorry. Just depressed and frustrated with the whole concept of "Serve and Protect". Accidents happen, but unapologetic cowards who don't even have the common decency to summons emergency medical assistance before fleeing from a maiming they were 100% responsible for... well, that is just so SPECIAL!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Probably not in the way that you would imagine. If its true its disgusting and may get the deputy fired, and may get the sheriff's department held responsible for the vet bill, but its unlikely to go beyond that. Which also means that its unlikely to convince a local attorney to handle the case on contigency. Its not impossible, but not necessarily likely.
I would state dollars to donuts, it won't happen. Why? Because those details mean someone else ignored the dog for 90 minutes and did nothing. Those details mean someone else was there. Also, was the dog leashed? Was anyone else at home or was the owner letting the dog run wild while he was gone? What culpability does the owner or others have?

MyDeadDog

I would state dollars to donuts, it won't happen. Why? Because those details mean someone else ignored the dog for 90 minutes and did nothing. Those details mean someone else was there. Also, was the dog leashed? Was anyone else at home or was the owner letting the dog run wild while he was gone? What culpability does the owner or others have?
Thanks for chiming in so compassionately. Were talking farm country here, pal. What if it was your child he crushed with his 5,000 lb cruiser and you failed to have it on your leash??? You probably would defend the Deputy no matter what the idiot ran over while backing up. "The flippin dog (or your child) must have hit the kind officer's car when HE WASN'T LOOKING!"

Thanks for nothing. My family will take our sorrow off your compassionate forum and grieve in private.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks for chiming in so compassionately. Were talking farm country here, pal. What if it was your child he crushed with his 5,000 lb cruiser and you failed to have it on your leash??? You probably would defend the Deputy no matter what the idiot ran over while backing up. "The flippin dog (or your child) must have hit the kind officer's car when HE WASN'T LOOKING!"

Thanks for nothing. My family will take our sorrow off your compassionate forum and grieve in private.
So the neighbor did NOTHING for the dog and left it suffer -- nice neighbor. There are LEASH laws for a reason. Again, your nephew could get the value of the property. As for a child -- I wouldn't let my child wander around in the country when I wasn't home. I am not defending the deputy by the way -- I was stating legal fact -- the dog is property. And it was NOT your dog -- according to you, it was your NEPHEW'S dog. Nowhere did I say the dog hit the officer's car. Your irrationality is amazing and entertaining however. Keep it up. I look forward to your next outburst.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Neighbor saw. If there was "no pain and suffering involved", what in your opinion is the "property" worth before and after it's unsolicited demise? Must we depreciate that value over 11 years? Can Nephew get restitution for mileage to the doggy hospital and $100 for the injection to put the dog out of his pain and suffering he apparently was not authorized to feel?

Sorry. Just depressed and frustrated with the whole concept of "Serve and Protect". Accidents happen, but unapologetic cowards who don't even have the common decency to summons emergency medical assistance before fleeing from a maiming they were 100% responsible for... well, that is just so SPECIAL!
Quite frankly, you can be frustrated. But a dog is PROPERTY. The amount the property is worth will be determined by a small claims court. Oh and is your nephew going to see the compassionate neighbor who saw all this and DID NOTHING?

MyDeadDog

So the neighbor did NOTHING for the dog and left it suffer -- nice neighbor. There are LEASH laws for a reason. Again, your nephew could get the value of the property. As for a child -- I wouldn't let my child wander around in the country when I wasn't home. I am not defending the deputy by the way -- I was stating legal fact -- the dog is property. And it was NOT your dog -- according to you, it was your NEPHEW'S dog. Nowhere did I say the dog hit the officer's car. Your irrationality is amazing and entertaining however. Keep it up. I look forward to your next outburst.
Were no laughing at this end. Neighbor is 79, in a wheel chair, and no phone. But she did wheel herself out on her front porch crying when she saw my Nephew returned. It's obvious you Ohio people have no rural areas where dogs are allowed to lie around freely on their owner's property, nor do you apparently have any poor handicapped seniors who cannot afford telephones.

Your Ohio compassion has no end because it has no beginning.

justalayman

MyDeadDog, you are really not realizing the legal aspects of this situation. If you want touchy feely, I would suggest looking for a forum that is designed for those purposes. You came here asking about the legal aspects of the situation and you got that. The dog was injured and was put down. Your nephew has recourse in attempting to claim the value of the dog and the costs incurred in having it put down.

Other than that, there is nothing to go after.

I would suggest filing a complaint with the Sheriff's office concerning the actions of the deputy.

Just so you know, I currently have 5 dogs and 2 cats that I care a lot about. If anything such as this happened, I would be angered as well. That does not change the legal aspect of what can be done.
Hell, I had a cat that some a hole intentionally shot up the butt and into the spine immediately before the tail crippling the thing. That cat met me at my car every day when I came home. It sat with my child for 3 days straight while she was ill.

That still does not allow me any action against the idiot that did it other than the costs of treatment and replacement.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

What if it was your child he crushed with his 5,000 lb cruiser and you failed to have it on your leash???
You really want to go there? OK, If it was a child that was crushed by the car, the driver would likely be convicted of negligent driving, and your nephew would be convicted of murder for killing the injured child.

In the eyes of the law, a dog is property, so comparing it to a child is a bad analogy.

A better analogy would be comparing it to a bicycle that was left in the driveway. The Sheriff backed over the bicycle and damaged it, so you can sue for the value of the bicycle.

MyDeadDog

MyDeadDog, you are really not realizing the legal aspects of this situation. If you want touchy feely, I would suggest looking for a forum that is designed for those purposes. You came here asking about the legal aspects of the situation and you got that. The dog was injured and was put down. Your nephew has recourse in attempting to claim the value of the dog and the costs incurred in having it put down.

Other than that, there is nothing to go after.

I would suggest filing a complaint with the Sheriff's office concerning the actions of the deputy.

Just so you know, I currently have 5 dogs and 2 cats that I care a lot about. If anything such as this happened, I would be angered as well. That does not change the legal aspect of what can be done.
Hell, I had a cat that some a hole intentionally shot up the butt and into the spine immediately before the tail crippling the thing. That cat met me at my car every day when I came home. It sat with my child for 3 days straight while she was ill.

That still does not allow me any action against the idiot that did it other than the costs of treatment and replacement.
Alright. You have my public apology for flaming you. I'm Sorry.

Thank you for your legal advise. We will not be filing any complaint with the Sheriff's office, because we have no legal eagle who truly has our back, and we fear reprisal from what is likely a very badge heavy Deputy. If we have no case (which I now understand) and can get no legal relief and protection from a legally filed case backed by a standup attorney, then we need to lick our wounds and not contribute to the annual Policemen's Ball. Or do they even have balls anymore?

I am truly sorry that your fine cat was crippled in a dastardly, inhumane act. I wish you and your pets much love and peace.

OHRoadwarrior

Why was your family so irresponsible to leave the poor dog in a position where he could access the driveway near the road, when you know he is deaf and half blind.
Did you just by this property, that you did not realize that people back into the drive to turn around?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">