• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slip and fall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunnydaze

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I had a slip fall accident at work. I had to have knee and back surgery I will not be able to return to work due to this injury. The injury took place in our building stairwell and was caused by material left behind by construction crew. We rent space in this building. I was making 90k a year as a federal employee. Workers comp has paid for all my surguries and ¾ of my salary. It has been determined this past week that I always will have to be on light duty and have to take pain medication just to get bye not to mention the pain and suffering due to my injury. As of today my total surgical and PT cost are 225k and the loss of my job 90k over 21 years will hurt me in the pocket book. Generally speaking Fed workers comp are not to easy to along with, so my hope is my PI case will be able to make up for lost wages and then I can move into retirement and not have to deal with workers comp. Has anyone had or heard of the outcomes of similar cases. My attorney’s are good but it would reassuring of the end result.

You Are Guilty

You can't "double dip" on the lost wages in the PI suit. (Google up "collateral sources" for a detailed explanation.) In fact, unless you are totally precluded from ever working again, you aren't even entitled to the $90k/year you were earning - only the difference between what you could earn now and that amount.

On the bright side, there are various other items you are entitled to be compensated for - federal benefits ( pension, health, vacation, etc)., future promotions/pay increases, the list goes on and on. You'll need an economist to prove the exact amount of your lost income, so ask your PI lawyers who they plan on using.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">