• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slip & Fall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djknight

What is the name of your state? ALABAMA

In June, 2004, while walking to the car in the darkened parking lot of a department store, my then 11 year old daughter slipped on a very large pile of glass and fell, causing multiple injuries. Every time she tried to brace herself to get up, she slipped and fell again - it was like trying to gain her purchase on a bed of ice cubes.

She was bleeding severely, especially from her left knee which was all but completely torn open. The store employees helped me to get her into the bathroom. They did not offer to call an ambulance, nor did they offer any other assistance.

By the time I got my daughter out to the parking lot to the car, the store was already cleaning the glass up. The glass, in case it matters, was a windshield that had been broken out of another car, apparently in our absence.

I brought my daughter to the emergency room. The surgeon in attendance at the time had to use some sort of special stitching in order to piece the remaining skin on her knee back together. He also had to dig glass out of her legs, her feet, her elbow and her buttocks.

The store required me to sign an accident report, which I did. I called an attorney at the time and asked if there was anything that could be done. Our insurance covered most of the medical expenses, less our co-pay, but the doctor advised us that her knee would be pretty severely scarred.

The attorney told me at the time that it wasn't worth fighting - that nobody wins against this particular department store, they will drag it out over years and years, hoping to wear you down so that you'll quit.

I was very discouraged, and so did not pursue the matter. However, while cleaning out my files today, I found the photos of my daughter's injuries, and it just seems to me that the department store should pay for the plastic surgery her leg is going to require.

My daughter is a promising actress, a member of the International Thespian Society. Her plan was to go into modeling upon graduation, as a means to break into the industry, but with the scars on her knee, she will have far fewer opportunities. She will require expensive plastic surgery to fix the scars, and my insurance will not cover that.

My question -- did the attorney I spoke with at the time give me good advice? Is this a case worth pursuing, or should I just forget it, especially now that three years have passed - would the passage of time lessen my daughter's chance of winning a case?

I have a copy of the accident report and all of the photos of her injuries at the time of her first check up, which was about a week after the accident.

I'm not looking to win a million dollars - Ideally, I would just like for them to pay the cost of the plastic surgery plus legal expenses.

Thanks for any *helpful* (see: non-snarky) advice you can lend me.

You Are Guilty

I can save a lot of time analyzing the incident and/or the prior advice. Alabama's statute of limitations on negligence is 2 years (Section 6-2-38) so you're out of luck no matter what.

Sorry.

djknight

They failed to keep their property - the parking lot - clean of dangerous debris. This wasn't a coke bottle that could have been overlooked -- it was an entire windshield. It looked like it had popped out somehow, and shattered on the ground -- perhaps it fell off someone's lift gate?? In any event, I cannot imagine that much glass hitting the concrete would not make enough noise to illicit some attention from the parking lot attendant/cart people.

Even if an employee didn't hear the glass hitting the ground, the glass could be seen from the sidewalk in front of the store - there was that much of it. In fact, after we left the store the second time, an employee followed us outside and said, "Oh yeah, I see it."

The only reason my daughter slipped on it was because, frankly, you don't expect to walk around a car and find a sea of glass. She was on top of it before she could stop herself.

Of course, I cannot prove that they knew the glass was there - and that is the same question, however, that the attorney that I spoke with asked. I suppose in order for them to be held responsible, they would have had to have dropped the windshield there themselves, and neglected to clean it up?

las365

I'm not suggesting that there is a winnable claim here, but when the injured person is a minor, isn't the SOL extended?

You Are Guilty

I'm not suggesting that there is a winnable claim here, but when the injured person is a minor, isn't the SOL extended?
Generally, yes, but surprisingly, I didn't see any such rule in Alabama's statutes.
http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

6-2-8 was the closest, but it appears inapplicable to negligence actions.

However, as I do not know with 100% certainty that it does not exist, I will couch my prior answer by saying "it appears the SOL has run" :) If someone can find a tolling statute, we can reevaluate, at least as far as the SOL issue goes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">