• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slip & Fall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catz66

What is the name of your state? VA

Bit of background first. Approximately 1 week prior to this incident there was a minor snowstorm. Sidewalks are cleared and the snow is piled along the grass strip parallel to the street. Snow clearing has been done this way as long as I've worked in the area. The building I work in is responsible for maintenance of the area.

I was preparing to cross the street in early morning and had stepped into street. A car was approaching so stepped back onto sidewalk. My foot slid and in trying to recover slid up and over the berm of ice. The end result was a trimalleolar fracture of the left ankle.

My questions are:
1. In your opinion would it be possible to recoup my out of pocket expenses;
2. How do I find out the name of the building's insurance company in order to file a claim
Thanks for your time
-catWhat is the name of your state?

justalayman

catz66;1889914]

My questions are:
1. In your opinion would it be possible to recoup my out of pocket expenses;
No because I believe this is simply due to an act of God, but I have heard he is near impossible to serve for a suit.

2. How do I find out the name of the building's insurance company in order to file a claim
You don;t need the insurance company as you do not make a claim against them, you make a claim against the person responsible for the injury. If they wish to involve their insurance company, that is up to them but not required.

You have provided nothing that would show negligence of liability on anybodies part other than you slipped on ice in the winter time. You have provided nothing that show the building owner or maintenance person to have been negligent or responsible for your injury.

catz66

catz66;1889914]

You don;t need the insurance company as you do not make a claim against them, you make a claim against the person responsible for the injury. If they wish to involve their insurance company, that is up to them but not required.

For my own edification then how is a claim made against the building without involving a lawyer i.e. where does one start?
-cat

justalayman

you call up the owner and tell him you want money. If you feel you are entitled to the money and he refuses, you sue him. If he wants to involve his insurance company, he will contact them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">