• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slip and Fall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilluna82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Sorry if this is a weird question but ill do my best to explain the situation.

I am going to be throwing a party. This is a slip n slide party. If you don't know what that is its that tarp like flat plastic sheet that you wet and slide down. They were popular about 10 years ago. Anyway this is an adult party and there will be alcohol there. I am now a little nervous that with the festivities and flow of alcohol someone might get seriously hurt. My question is this. If someone gets hurt while at a party i throw, am i legally responsible for their injury? Can they sue me? Could the potential property owner be legally liable?

Just to be clear the slip n slide will be at least 100 feet long and will be constructed by hand and will not be on my personal property.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Sorry if this is a weird question but ill do my best to explain the situation.

I am going to be throwing a party. This is a slip n slide party. If you don't know what that is its that tarp like flat plastic sheet that you wet and slide down. They were popular about 10 years ago. Anyway this is an adult party and there will be alcohol there. I am now a little nervous that with the festivities and flow of alcohol someone might get seriously hurt. My question is this. If someone gets hurt while at a party i throw, am i legally responsible for their injury? Can they sue me? Could the potential property owner be legally liable?

Just to be clear the slip n slide will be at least 100 feet long and will be constructed by hand and will not be on my personal property.
Short answer - YES. It's YOUR party, and you plan to serve alcohol at this party. You are using a makeshift slip 'n' slide that is potentially hazardous. You want to play the host to this kind of thing, you assume the risk if someone gets hurt. The property owner would ALSO share the liability since they have decided to allow the craziness on their property.

I hope you have a good umbrella policy, and the property owner is well-insured. I'm thinking you'd hate to be paying (literally) for the rest of your life for a few hours of fun.

ecmst12

This is a REALLY REALLY bad idea. Slip and slides are meant for kids. They were never meant to be safe for adults, especially not DRUNK adults.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Two things:

First - Slip 'n' Slides were popular much longer ago than 10 years ago ;)

Second - If the OP goes through with this hair-brained idea then it's going to make for some great video on those "World's Dumbest..." shows!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">