• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slip & fall on stairs at waterpark.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lunsar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

We were at a Michigan Waterpark yesterday, and while climbing the stairs to a waterslide, my child and myself both fell due to there being standing water on the steps up to the slide. I fell down only a couple steps and only received a few scrapes. My child fell down about 10 steps and has about 20 or so cuts on his leg, a cut on his hand and hit his head on the side bar for the stairs. After telling a lifeguard they pointed us to the tube rental building, the person there called for a medical personnel, he came and examined my son and determined he had no head injuries, and bandaged him up decently.

A couple other things to consider, the slides above the stairs are dripping water onto the steps and platforms on the stairs on the way up. Also I do not recall seeing any sign saying "caution slippery surface" or anything to that effect.

Any case?

Thanks.

CourtClerk

Do you NEED to see a sign that says slippery surface when there is standing water there???

I always ASSUME that when you see water, there is a chance that you can slip, but then that's just me and my common sense. That I'm at a water park doesn't change that though, nor does it mean that they use nonslippery water. Dripping wet people and dripping wet rafts kind of means that there will be standing water. Standing water (again, to me) means that you could slip if you're not careful.

Not everything is a lawsuit. This isn't one.

CourtClerk

You can have some too. Just keep going to work.

That, or next time, try harder to fall somewhere where there would be some actual negligence. Hopefully, you won't hurt yourself so bad that you end up paralyzed so that you can actually enjoy all the money you hope to get.

I will send you $2 for the next box of bandaids if you'd like. Then you will have $$ too.

lunsar

Yeah dude, my kid is going to purposefully fall down 10 steps. Take your ego trip and shove it up your ass. I was being serious and was looking for serious advice, only reason I became a smartass was because of your tone in your response. A simple, "I don't believe you'd have a case" would have been sufficient, but instead you instantly assumed I was trying to work the "system" instead of actually being helpful.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

If that's the response you want, then you could have simply stated that. Here it is so it will make you feel better:
"I don't believe you'd have a case"
Oh, and I was being serious also. No one said your child threw themselves down the stairs. However, your assumption that they have any liability for water being on the ground at a WATERPARK is.... just a little crazy. I mean really, you never answered the question.

Do you NEED to see a sign that says slippery surface when you see there is standing water there??? Do you NEED to see a sign that says water at a water park may cause you to fall?

Oh... and that sign, I BET you you'd find at the front gate anyway. However, you didn't look because I'm sure you assumed there was water in the waterpark.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, when you entered the park, you agreed that you would not hold them liable for just this type of situation. So, I'll chime in too. You have no case (neither does your son).

ecmst12

Not only that, but you have no damages. Cuts and scrapes do not require actual medical treatment beyond bandaids and get better all by themselves. Next time be more careful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">