• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slip and Fall Stop Shop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blb2397

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I suffered injuries at a local NJ stop and shop.
The store was running hoses through the isle and apparently de-icing the freezer. I went to grab an ice cream on that aisle near the hoses and fell very hard from a spill. It was witnessed by a store manager. The manager put in a claim with the insurance company with me present. The manager witnessed the fall and noted the lack of signage and the puddle. The spills were cleaned with a mop by an employee and only then were signs placed in the hazard area. I declined an ambulance. I was driven home by my husband who was with me. I was in pain so he took me to a nearby urgent care. I have no serious injuries but I am in a lot of pain. I suffered a severely bruised tailbone. I have had some back issues in the past and aggravated it. My forearm is now swelling and painful as well although the day of the accident I just had a minor scrape on that elbow.
It is pretty clear that the store created the hazard. The insurance is supposed to contact me Monday but frankly I don’t know what to do next. I am afraid that they are going to try to take advantage. I don’t know what to expect from them.
I have never been in this situation so I need some advice to what steps I should be taking and am wondering what I can expect the claim agent to ask or say?

Thanks very much for any feedback

OHRoadwarrior

Unless you can substantiate a bruised bone, it means nothing. Prior injuries are in fact prior injuries. If they cover you doctor bills you will be doing good, IMO.

I've had varying experiences with insurance companies. Sometimes they immediately offer everything you would be entitled to, sometimes they try to hide the ball if they think they can avoid legal action.

For injuries resulting from an act of negligence, a person would normally be entitled to the doctor's fees plus pain and suffering. Pain and suffering is normally calculated by applying a multiplier to the doctor's fees. The multiplier can range anywhere between 0.5 and 4, depending on the severity and permanence of the injury. So if your doctor bill was $100, and your pain and suffering multiplier was 0.5, you would be entitled to $150.

Because these injuries sound fairly minor and temporary, you should expect your pain and suffering multiplier to be on the lower end if the insurance offers it at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">