• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slip and fell down the stairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eyepressure

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I am a resident of California. I visited my daughter & her husband in MN for the summer. During my visit they were looking for a new place to stay. They found a 2 BR home they were interested in. They decided to go back and look at the house for a 2nd time. I decided to tag along. We stopped by the house and asked if we can look around again. During the showing of the house, I opened the basement door and fell down maybe 10 flight of stairs. I didn't realize there were stairs going down and I didn't turn on the lights. I just stepped in thinking it was a closet or another room. In California, we do not have alot of homes with basement levels. Anyways, I was in pain. The handyman asked if I needed an ambulance or needed transportation to the ER. Although in pain, I told him I might be okay. So I did not go to the hospotal. One month later I am still feeling a little soar. My son thinks I should pursue for pain and suffering. Do I have a claim? Is it worth my time to pursue for pain and suffering?Here are my concerns: 1) I was just tagging along and not the tenant or potential tenant. 2) I knew that the house was still under repair. The stairs was not broken, I was just not cautious. 3) I waited one month to bring up any issues with the landloard.

phase08

The handyman asked if I needed an ambulance or needed transportation to the ER. Although in pain, I told him I might be okay. So I did not go to the hospotal. One month later I am still feeling a little soar.
Ten flights of stairs? Really?!
You must not have been hurt that badly. A little "sore" a month later. :confused: That could be from anything. No medical treatment, no bills, no case.

justalayman

The stairs was not broken, I was just not cautious. .
you want to make a claim because you admittedly were at fault?

you really are kidding aren't you? What do you expect, a sign saying "warning; there is stairs behind this door"?

Country Living

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I am a resident of California. I visited my daughter & her husband in MN for the summer. During my visit they were looking for a new place to stay. They found a 2 BR home they were interested in. They decided to go back and look at the house for a 2nd time. I decided to tag along. We stopped by the house and asked if we can look around again. During the showing of the house, I opened the basement door and fell down maybe 10 flight of stairs. I didn't realize there were stairs going down and I didn't turn on the lights. I just stepped in thinking it was a closet or another room. In California, we do not have alot of homes with basement levels. Anyways, I was in pain. The handyman asked if I needed an ambulance or needed transportation to the ER. Although in pain, I told him I might be okay. So I did not go to the hospotal. One month later I am still feeling a little soar. My son thinks I should pursue for pain and suffering. Do I have a claim? Is it worth my time to pursue for pain and suffering?Here are my concerns: 1) I was just tagging along and not the tenant or potential tenant. 2) I knew that the house was still under repair. The stairs was not broken, I was just not cautious. 3) I waited one month to bring up any issues with the landloard.
You caused your own accident by not looking where you were going.

las365

Don't most property insurance policies have a "medpay" or no-fault component that doesn't require liability on the part of the insured to be used?

OP could have made a claim and probably gotten reimbursed for her medical bills from that. If she had been injured enough to seek medical treatment. But she wasn't.

Country Living

This is another one of my pet peeves. It's absolutely irresponsible for her to even think about filing a claim when she caused the problem. Yet, her son is over there egging her on to try and get "free money". There is no such thing as FREE MONEY!

The insurance company pays a claim. The policyholder's premium MAY rise and/or he may get cancelled depending on his claim history. Then the actuaries look at all the payments and all the risks in a given area and decide if EVERYONE's premium should rise.

The only justice would be if the couple decided it was a perfect house to rent and (1) the landlord refused to rent it to them because they are a lawsuit waiting to happen or (2) he raises their rent to cover his increase in premium.

There was a time when people were responsible and accountable for their own actions. Parents are supposed to help children develop their moral compass. Mom should have turned to junior as soon as the statement was said and told him "that's not the right thing to do".

eyepressure

When I got home about two weeks later, I did see my Doctors and had exams if there were anything major that is broken. Not anything serious but I do have medical bills.

ecmst12

You waited TWO WEEKS to see a doctor? You will be lucky if you can even get those bills paid for, anything could have happened in that time. If you'd seen a doctor two DAYS after the fall, that would be more plausible.

There are two points that goes against you. 1st that you did not watch your steps, and 2nd, that you were careless and didn't consult a doctor right after the incident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">