• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slipped and Fell at Target in Ohio, Not Sure What To Do Now...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MissMiji

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was at Target today with my mom and slipped in a huge puddle of water. I filled out an incident report, talked to managers [who said it was their fault because the water hadn't been cleaned up and there was no "wet floor" sign] and then went to the Emergency Room to get checked out.

I ended up having a bruised tailbone, a severly sprained wrist, and a pinched nerve in my leg. Upon my father's advice [and the ER doctor] I called a lawyer. He told me that, while he wouldn't take me on as a client, I should proceed with my action against the company. I was kind of confused, because he said that the company might not even pay for my medical bills even though it was 100% their fault that water was not cleaned up. There was no sign, no rug, nothing. It was under an ice machine, so that should have been something people knew to keep clean, right?

I don't know what to do. My parents think I should file a lawsuit, the lawyer told me I could "most likely" take care of it on my own and by the end of it the company would pay my medical bills [x-rays, ER, etc.] and probably pay me for pain and suffering. He said, "if your medical bills are $3,000 ask for $10,000 so there's some negotiation."

I don't know what to do, and talking to the lawyer sort of confused me. =[ All I know is I'm in a whole lot of pain and had to call off work tomorrow because I can barely put weight on my left leg because of the pinched nerve. Help?

justalayman

Slipped and Fell at Target in Ohio, Not Sure What To Do Now...
get up.

I suspect the lawyer either knows something you have not stated here or he realizes there isn't much money in this and doesn't feel it is worth his time to take it on contingency. Did you ask if he would take this on an hourly basis?

the first thing to do is get treatment. Once you have figured out what kind of treatment you will need, then you will start to be able to calculate the damages ($$) involved. Right now it is a bit soon to do much of anything other than figure out what is wrong with you.

ecmst12

The lawyer you talked to did not think your case was worth enough to pursue. Continue with your treatment and talk to one or 2 more lawyers. If none of them will take your case, that's not a very good sign. But there is a very good chance that they will at least pay your medical bills without involving a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">