• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starving cat at my home-can I be held liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

violas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. I felt sorry for a stranger in my town who is becoming homeless today. She has never been homeless. I volunteered to foster her 2 cats while she gets her act together. One of her cats is extremely underweight and shows obvious signs of having been starved. I am trying to help this cat but at the same time I told her I could not afford to pay for her cat's vet care. This cat is now getting plenty to eat. Now if this cat would die could I be held legally responsible even though I told her upfront that I would not pay for vet care?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. I felt sorry for a stranger in my town who is becoming homeless today. She has never been homeless. I volunteered to foster her 2 cats while she gets her act together. One of her cats is extremely underweight and shows obvious signs of having been starved. I am trying to help this cat but at the same time I told her I could not afford to pay for her cat's vet care. This cat is now getting plenty to eat. Now if this cat would die could I be held legally responsible even though I told her upfront that I would not pay for vet care?

So...you felt sorry for this stranger, bought her story and believed that she's never been homeless?

Why is that?

sandyclaus

At this point, these cats are fully under your care and control. YOU have agreed to feed and house these cats. You KNEW that they at least the one was malnourished to the point of being emaciated, and you accepted responsibility for them anyway. That makes anything you do while they are under your care YOUR responsibility.

Are you telling us that you would watch them die rather than obtain medical care for them if it becomes necessary? If you let it happen, I think it's safe to say you'd be liable.

violas

Sounds like I better call her to pick up her cats

I didn't realize I was such a horrible person for trying to help a stranger. I will tell her to pick up her cats today and I guess her cats will go to the shelter and be euthanized.

Proserpina

I didn't realize I was such a horrible person for trying to help a stranger. I will tell her to pick up her cats today and I guess her cats will go to the shelter and be euthanized.

Enter, the drama llama.

Edit: And really, folks? Post hx. Srsly.

violas

Drama? No this is called "Reality-real life"

One cat is 12 and the other cat is 13. Do you really think that someone is going to adopt either of these old cats? Hell No. They will be the first to be euthanized. That is a fact.

ecmst12

Being sued over something with basically no value is not something I would waste time worrying about.

OHRoadwarrior

You have little to worry about. Take care of the cats as best you can. If one dies or needs to be put down, the most you could be held liable for is the cost of a cat. Cats are considered property. You could obtain a free replacement from someone giving one away.

eerelations

You have little to worry about. Take care of the cats as best you can. If one dies or needs to be put down, the most you could be held liable for is the cost of a cat. Cats are considered property. You could obtain a free replacement from someone giving one away.
Posting history!!! :eek: OP is a troll!!!

violas

Thanks to all-Great news!

I just talked to the cat's owner and she has found a kind soul who has agreed to adopt her cats PERMANENTLY!!!!! This kind soul will be coming to my place tomorrow to pick up the cats.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">