• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended College Student

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mother51

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
This situation occurred in 2010 and pertains to the university policy prohibiting information being sent to parents. My son has ADHD. He was a college student and had a 504 plan in place at his college. To my knowledge, he was not required to visit an advisor each semester to have his class schedule set up. In addition, despite the fact that we were cosigners to his college loans, we were not advised of the number of classes he was taking, nor were we privy to his grades or class performance. He told us he was majoring in psychology but then changed his major after 3 years to chemistry.
We were unaware that he had not completed his basic required course work for either major. We were also unaware that he dropped a class each semester so his work load was low...sometimes only 2-3 classes...just enough to get funding. In 2010, he was stopped and charged with a DUI. Had never had a ticket or any other legal infraction to our knowledge. He lost his license, has to have a devise installed in his car for a year, was suspended from school. Basically, it has the potential to ruin his life. His college put him on suspension pending substance abuse counselling and 30 hours of community service. This occurred in October...we were never notified by the college of his infraction, their response, nor did he tell us until the spring only because he needed money for his attorney fees. He now wants to return to school but commuting from home to the university branch locally. I want to know, since he was under a 504 plan, do we have any legal recourse as far as having him reinstated as a student with financial assistance based on the fact that the school never notified us of his suspension, never notified us of his dropped classes or lack of advisor assistance in setting up classes to expedite his graduation (as it stands, he has at least 2 years of classes to complete in order to graduate). As cosigners of his loans, you would think we should have been kept in the loop as to what was going on. And since he is considered handicapped, it should have been manditory that he have supervision of his course load and performance. I'm not exactly sure what I'm asking here but as parents involved financially with our son's education, we should have some recourse to getting him back in school and graduated so he can afford to pay back his loans. As it stands now, he is working in a warehouse at practically minimum wage.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
This situation occurred in 2010 and pertains to the university policy prohibiting information being sent to parents. My son has ADHD. He was a college student and had a 504 plan in place at his college. To my knowledge, he was not required to visit an advisor each semester to have his class schedule set up. In addition, despite the fact that we were cosigners to his college loans, we were not advised of the number of classes he was taking, nor were we privy to his grades or class performance. He told us he was majoring in psychology but then changed his major after 3 years to chemistry.
We were unaware that he had not completed his basic required course work for either major. We were also unaware that he dropped a class each semester so his work load was low...sometimes only 2-3 classes...just enough to get funding. In 2010, he was stopped and charged with a DUI. Had never had a ticket or any other legal infraction to our knowledge. He lost his license, has to have a devise installed in his car for a year, was suspended from school. Basically, it has the potential to ruin his life. His college put him on suspension pending substance abuse counselling and 30 hours of community service. This occurred in October...we were never notified by the college of his infraction, their response, nor did he tell us until the spring only because he needed money for his attorney fees. He now wants to return to school but commuting from home to the university branch locally. I want to know, since he was under a 504 plan, do we have any legal recourse as far as having him reinstated as a student with financial assistance based on the fact that the school never notified us of his suspension, never notified us of his dropped classes or lack of advisor assistance in setting up classes to expedite his graduation (as it stands, he has at least 2 years of classes to complete in order to graduate). As cosigners of his loans, you would think we should have been kept in the loop as to what was going on. And since he is considered handicapped, it should have been manditory that he have supervision of his course load and performance. I'm not exactly sure what I'm asking here but as parents involved financially with our son's education, we should have some recourse to getting him back in school and graduated so he can afford to pay back his loans. As it stands now, he is working in a warehouse at practically minimum wage.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your beef it with your son. If he hid things from you then place the responsiblity back on him. The university has no responibility you, to the student's parents.

mother51

First, I'm well aware where my beef is...I've taken care of him...
Second, since I am financial culpable in this situation and he was under a handicapped designation (and if you are unaware what ADHD is and the pathological and behavioral traits involved, I would suggest you google it. Better still, go to the CHADD website) I want to know what, if anything, can be done legally.

Antigone*

Second, since I am financial culpable in this situation and he was under a handicapped designation (and if you are unaware what ADHD is and the pathological and behavioral traits involved, I would suggest you google it. Better still, go to the CHADD website) I want to know what, if anything, can be done legally.
Since your son is an adult, then have you taken the legal steps to get consevatorship over him and the handling of his affairs?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am the parent of 3 children with the ADHD diagnosis. I also believe that I would be diagnosed with ADHD, if I chose to pursue it. If you are not the conservator of your ADULT son then you are not entitled to the information. You need to better prepare your ADULT son for life and stop babying him. Individuals with ADHD can be (and most definitely are) productive, high-achieving members of our society, if given the opportunity.

ecmst12

He obviously needs to see a psychiatrist. If his ADHD was being properly managed/treated, he would not be having the severe impulse control problems he is having. If he's not on medication, he needs to be. If he is, then it needs to be adjusted or changed.

I also have ADHD.

asiny

He obviously needs to see a psychiatrist. If his ADHD was being properly managed/treated, he would not be having the severe impulse control problems he is having. If he's not on medication, he needs to be. If he is, then it needs to be adjusted or changed.

I also have ADHD.
Getting on that ADHD bandwagon myself ecmst12 :D
Diagnosed- and for those that know- with Hyperkinesis and given strict diet (prior to medications) in 1984.
As cosigners of his loans, you would think we should have been kept in the loop as to what was going on.
Having a child in college myself, with whom I am a co-signer for all of the loans, the problem (to bandwagon too) is with your son. All you, as a co-signer, are agreeing to is assume the debt if your son fails to pay (whether he graduates or not) for any reason. As others have said, because your son is an adult- the school cannot circumvent HIS privacy because HE was responsible for 100% of any incurred debt or aid. You were the fall-back.
And since he is considered handicapped, it should have been manditory that he have supervision of his course load and performance.
Using the ADHD as a disability (whilst SSI technically lists it as one, the ADA does not) is a '(b)lame excuse'. It can be a managed through medication/treatment where it no longer interferes with daily activities.
He was not mentally handicapped or intellectually disabled where medication/treatment could 'suspend' the effects of the disability.
I'm not exactly sure what I'm asking here...
Special treatment on using your sons' disability as leverage to circumvent his (and your) financial liability caused by his idiocy and whatever issues made him not tell you he was having problems.
...but as parents involved financially with our son's education,
You are not involved. You co-signed.
You signed because he may not have gotten the loans without it (lack of credit history).
You signed to help him for his future.
You signed believing he would be a responsible adult (which he is an adult).
It would be the equivalent of you co-signing a loan for a friend. You have no say in what the friend does with it. You co-signed for their loan.

Speaking of 'responsible adult' and your argument that you should have been informed as you were involved in your son's education.... did you not communicate with your son, during his college time, to keep track of how he was doing?
Regardless, the issue is between your son and you. The college have done nothing improper in your sons (your) situation.
...we should have some recourse to getting him back in school and graduated so he can afford to pay back his loans.[/quote[
Of course. If he has fulfilled the requirements of the college;
His college put him on suspension pending substance abuse counselling and 30 hours of community service.
What is the colleges position IF he has fulfilled them?
But he, possibly, lost any federal aid money he had- and how much money, in loans, remains for school use? Another loan may be required for him to complete his 2 years to graduate. Do you feel comfortable co-signing? He may not even be able to get a loan with one already outstanding- especially if it's in default.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">