• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there any way to prevent someone from suing that got hurt on your property? HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gotaquestion123

Hi,

I would like to put a boxing/mixed martial arts ring in my backyard to train with my friends. I own the house that I would like the ring to be located.

My worry is, if someone were to break a bone or whatnot, they could sue. Is there anything I can do to prevent them from being able to sue?

If they all signed a paper that says I will not be held accountable for any accidents, would that be sufficient?

PLEASE HELP! I need advice. I would really like to purchase this ring and put it in my yard.

Thank you all.

ecmst12

No, there is no way you can PREVENT a lawsuit. A properly designed waiver might be a DEFENSE to a lawsuit. But I would strongly suggest you discuss this additon with your homeowner's insurance before you go forward - find out how much extra they will need to charge you for having such an attraction.

gotaquestion123

No, there is no way you can PREVENT a lawsuit. A properly designed waiver might be a DEFENSE to a lawsuit. But I would strongly suggest you discuss this additon with your homeowner's insurance before you go forward - find out how much extra they will need to charge you for having such an attraction.
What happens if I purchased it without consulting my homeowners insurance? Would that just make me liable for any injury related costs, rather than my homeowners insurance??

Also, if everyone who used it had their own health insurance, would that prevent a lawsuit? Wouldn't their health insurance cover any of their injuries, no matter where they took place?

Thank you for your time!!

Isis1

What happens if I purchased it without consulting my homeowners insurance? Would that just make me liable for any injury related costs, rather than my homeowners insurance??

Also, if everyone who used it had their own health insurance, would that prevent a lawsuit? Wouldn't their health insurance cover any of their injuries, no matter where they took place?

Thank you for your time!!
the best way to prevent a lawsuit, is to not buy this box/wrestling ring. that's really the bottom line.

talk to your homeowner's insurance. educate yourself to help you not LOSE a lawsuit. that's your end goal.

Antigone*

the best way to prevent a lawsuit, is to not buy this box/wrestling ring. that's really the bottom line.

talk to your homeowner's insurance. educate yourself to help you not LOSE a lawsuit. that's your end goal.
He can certainly buy the boxing/wrestling ring and not get sued. He just can't use it;)

Now if you don't mind my greek goddess, I'd like an amaretto sour, with a maracchino cherry please.:D

Isis1

He can certainly buy the boxing/wrestling ring and not get sued. He just can't use it;)

Now if you don't mind my greek goddess, I'd like an amaretto sour, with a marachino cherry please.:D
that sounds yummy! i'll make myself one too. and have two more on deck for seconds :D

ecmst12

If you buy the thing and DON'T inform your HO insurance, they are likely to deny coverage if any claim arises, AND cancel your policy when they find out. Lying to your insurance company helps no one.

gotaquestion123

If you buy the thing and DON'T inform your HO insurance, they are likely to deny coverage if any claim arises, AND cancel your policy when they find out. Lying to your insurance company helps no one.
I'm not trying to lie, it just didn't really even cross my mind until you brought it up. I'm sure there are tons of people with trampolines that don't tell their insurance. This is probably equivalent to that.

But what if everyone has their OWN health insurance? Would any medical expenses get covered by their insurance and I wouldn't even have anything to do with it?

Sucks that you can't even own your own house and equipment without worrying about getting sued. This judicial system/healthcare system and today's society is very flawed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not trying to lie, it just didn't really even cross my mind until you brought it up. I'm sure there are tons of people with trampolines that don't tell their insurance. This is probably equivalent to that.
And claims related to trampolines can ALSO be denied. In any case, this is no where near equivalent.

But what if everyone has their OWN health insurance? Would any medical expenses get covered by their insurance and I wouldn't even have anything to do with it?
They could still come after you and their health insurance would be paid back for their outlay. If they person chooses NOT to go after you, then the health insurance company could also go after you to get repaid. It's called subrogation

Sucks that you can't even own your own house and equipment without worrying about getting sued. This judicial system/healthcare system and today's society is very flawed.
Of COURSE you can own your own stuff. It's when you allow other people to use and get injured on your stuff that problems start to crop up. Has nothing to do with the healthcare system.

gotaquestion123

And claims related to trampolines can ALSO be denied. In any case, this is no where near equivalent.

They could still come after you and their health insurance would be paid back for their outlay. If they person chooses NOT to go after you, then the health insurance company could also go after you to get repaid. It's called subrogation

Of COURSE you can own your own stuff. It's when you allow other people to use and get injured on your stuff that problems start to crop up. Has nothing to do with the healthcare system.
Yeah, you can own your own stuff, but what good is it if you can't use it by yourself? Accidents happen every day. Hopefully no accidents would occur and this would never be a factor. But, we should be able to let other people use our equipment without worrying about losing our home or savings. And it doesn't have to do with the healthcare system entirely, but partially.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah, you can own your own stuff, but what good is it if you can't use it by yourself? Accidents happen every day. Hopefully no accidents would occur and this would never be a factor. But, we should be able to let other people use our equipment without worrying about losing our home or savings. And it doesn't have to do with the healthcare system entirely, but partially.
Dude, it has NOTHING to do with the healthcare system. Seriously. :rolleyes:

And it doesn't have to do with the healthcare system entirely, but partially.
Absolutely, positively untrue.

It has to do with people being overly litigious. While most insurance claims are utterly viable, many are NOT. Hence, higher premium costs. And tighter restrictions.

Bear in mind, that insurance companies want your money ~ they do not want your claims. And if they can enact rules that lessen their liability/pay-outs, they will do it.

That is why it costs more to insure a home with a pool (sans enclosure is even more costly), have a trampoline, own dogs, etc. It's all about the insurance company's bottom line. It's, if you're an insurance company, good business sense.

The healthcare system is simply a beneficiary. They "get" to deal with the injuries. But that's about as far as they're involved.

CJane

Perhaps not from the standpoint of being sued, but it would certainly be in your best interests to contact the city/county in which you live and find out if such a thing is even allowed on your property. Many municipalities and/or HOA's restrict the types of things that you can have in your yard.

Hi,

I would like to put a boxing/mixed martial arts ring in my backyard to train with my friends. I own the house that I would like the ring to be located.

My worry is, if someone were to break a bone or whatnot, they could sue. Is there anything I can do to prevent them from being able to sue?

If they all signed a paper that says I will not be held accountable for any accidents, would that be sufficient?

PLEASE HELP! I need advice. I would really like to purchase this ring and put it in my yard.

Thank you all.
Yes you can have a waiver signed; see an attny for the verbage needed ... a simple statement will not suffice.

Have fun!

ecmst12

If they person chooses NOT to go after you, then the health insurance company could also go after you to get repaid. It's called subrogation.
That's actually NOT true, the health insurance company can NOT pursue a third party on their own for reimbursement. They can only subrogate if the injured party receives a settlement or a judgement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">