+ Reply to Thread
    Techdude is offline Junior Member

Time limit for reporting injury (home owner insurance)

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennslyvania

Is there a time limit for when a person can sue another property owner for “injuries” that occurred while working on that person’s property?

Several years ago I was removing grape vines on my girlfriends property. I came down with a very bad case of poison ivy. A really bad spot on my arm got infected, and I became very ill. I took myself to the emergency room of a nearby hospital and I also complained about a tightness in my chest. The doctors there decided that I needed a full cardiac check up, so I was admitted and spent the night there, and under went all sorts of tests on my heart. Incidentally, they didn’t find any problems.

The total bill for one night in the hospital was over $10,000. My insurance company only covered about half of it, and I have been making small payments every month since. I also lost two days work from the hospital incident.

I had mentioned to my girlfriend that maybe her home owners insurance might help me with my expenses. She shrugged off that idea. My relationship ended with this woman, and I am wondering if it is too late to file a claim with her insurance company.

Your advise is appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Q: I had mentioned to my girlfriend that maybe her home owners insurance might help me with my expenses. She shrugged off that idea. My relationship ended with this woman, and I am wondering if it is too late to file a claim with her insurance company.

A: You should keep all your questions in one thread. However, I'll go ahead and answer. You can't file anything with an insurance carrier that you are not doing business with. If you really think you have a case, then sue her and get a judgment.

(You don't have a case.)
    There are two rules for success:

(1) Never tell everything you know.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    You would need to sue the homeowner. Then their insurance would protect them. Unfortunately (for you) the time limit to do that is 2 years, so you won't be able to successfully sue.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorjudge View Post

(You don't have a case.)
    I was trying to weasel out of that statement. Since the SoL is expired, he has no case and that's not even touching on whether he had a case in the first place
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    Her insurance might actually have covered it under "medical payments to others" if you'd made a claim at the time or within the 2 years. This coverage does not require the insured to be negligent or liable in order to apply, it covers for any injury that happens on the premesis. But you didn't, so you missed the boat.
    Techdude is offline Junior Member
    I guess I should have followed through with this instead of "keeping the peace" .

Thanks!
    dslawyer is offline Junior Member
    Your only hope is if you meet any of the criteria that would toll (extend) the statute of limitations, but they rarely apply. Such as you were a minor, and it's less than a year since you reached the age of majority. Or you suffered from some disability, or were in the military and out of the country all this time. Not likely any of that applies, but just in case . . .