• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Victim of Attempted Rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

A friend of mine was the vicitim of an attempted rape 4 months ago. I'm not sure of all the details. The guy tried to take her home to his place when she was intoxicated, presumably involuntarily due to being drugged. She managed to fight him off but suffered both physical symptoms and prolonged emotional distress. She tried to file a report but the officers allegedly did not take her seriously and gave her a hard time. She has medical bills that need to paid as a result. What is her likelihood of success at trial? Would a lawyer take this case? Does she need to file a police report? Has the statute of limitations elasped? (I assume no).

ecmst12

If there were no criminal charges filed, it's likely because there was not enough evidence to proceed. What were the physical injuries? Was she tested to see if there were drugs in her system that she did not take voluntarily? If not, it will be difficult to prove anything even in civil court where the burden of proof is lower. There are tons of support groups for victims of sexual assault. She should take advantage of those.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">