• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WA State, home injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My Paradise

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I want to hire a friend to help do some work on the roof. He's licensed, but not bonded. Can I have him sign a statement that he won't sue in case of injury?

racer72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I want to hire a friend to help do some work on the roof. He's licensed, but not bonded. Can I have him sign a statement that he won't sue in case of injury?
Licensed for what? If he is a licensed contractor, part of the licensing requirements are to be bonded. If not, the license is not valid. You can have him sign just about anything but it will not provide protection for you in case of negligence, that can't be signed away.

sandyclaus

Licensed for what? If he is a licensed contractor, part of the licensing requirements are to be bonded. If not, the license is not valid. You can have him sign just about anything but it will not provide protection for you in case of negligence, that can't be signed away.
That would be correct.

A properly registered and licensed contractor is required to keep on file with L&I a surety bond of $6,000 for specialty contractors/$12,000 for general contractors, in addition to a current Certificate of Liability Insurance for at least $250,000.

If your friend doesn't have these, then he is not a properly licensed contractor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">