• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What type of lawyer do you need to sue the county?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

friend1234

IL. Hi I would also like to know, do I need to drop my statues in a class action suit, because I want to go along solo ?:confused: The class action case is taking a very long time to settle.

quincy

IL. Hi I would also like to know, do I need to drop my statues in a class action suit, because I want to go along solo ?:confused: The class action case is taking a very long time to settle.
If you were identified as a member of a class action suit and you received a notice of the suit, you have (or you had) a limited amount of time to opt out of the suit. The deadline to opt out is provided in the notice. If you did not opt out before the deadline, you automatically became a part of the class action suit and at that time you were no longer able to file your own individual suit.

Proserpina

OP may find that local attorneys will run a mile in the opposite direction. Their license to practice is invaluable , and suing the county is a task not many are brave (foolish?) enough to consider.

The other thing is the nature of class action suits. As an example, the fen-phen suits started not too long after the FDA pulled the drug (late 1997) and it was certified as a class action in 1999; as of 2003 most of the claims hadn't even been processed, despite pushing the dates back a few times, and only relatively few claims have actually been paid as of today.

So that's also something to note; these things can go on and on and on and on...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Good luck with that. A class action is actually worth it for many attorneys due to the fact that there is a greater chance of getting some money. You solo? Yeah, not so definite. Plus there is the whole qualified immunity idea.

friend1234

Thanks for the advice.

;) Thanks for answering, It was suggested by a close relative whom said they spoke about it to another friend who works in the law field, who explained to my relative I should get a lawyer and sue as a individual.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
;) Thanks for answering, It was suggested by a close relative whom said they spoke about it to another friend who works in the law field, who explained to my relative I should get a lawyer and sue as a individual.
The law field? As what? A court reporter? A bailiff? A paralegal? A court clerk? If a lawyer, in civil litigation? Doing class actions? Or do they do criminal?

quincy

IF you did NOT receive notice that there was a class action lawsuit and you were identified as a member of the class, and IF you were NOT given the ability to opt out of the suit, you could potentially file your own, individual lawsuit. You will probably only want to do this if your injury is severe enough to warrant the costs you will expend in pursuing such an action. The costs can be extremely high (but the damages awarded can also be high - much higher than they might be as a member of a winning class action suit).

It would not hurt to have an attorney review your personal case to check the facts but, again, if you were provided notice of the class action and chose not to opt out, you have lost the ability to file an individual action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">