• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays taxes on a settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunnyday1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

when a person is awarded a settlement, and it is taxable, does the person awarded pay taxes on the entire amount, even the attorney fees/portion? I was told by the attorney that it is typical for the person who is awarded the money to pay taxes on the attorney's fees and a friend told me this doesnt sound right. So now I would like to know if this is the case or if im being taken advantage of.
thank you in advance for any help with this question, it is appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

when a person is awarded a settlement, and it is taxable, does the person awarded pay taxes on the entire amount, even the attorney fees/portion? I was told by the attorney that it is typical for the person who is awarded the money to pay taxes on the attorney's fees and a friend told me this doesnt sound right. So now I would like to know if this is the case or if im being taken advantage of.
Is your friend an attorney familiar with this sort of thing? Why wouldn't you believe the attorney?

justalayman

when a person is awarded a settlement, and it is taxable, does the person awarded pay taxes on the entire amount, even the attorney fees/portion?
yep. What you pay the lawyer does not reduce what you were paid. It is simply a reflection of what it cost to get what you were paid. Think about it this way; if there was no lawyer, you would pay taxes on the entire amount, right? Well, you needed the assistance of a lawyer to make the other party pay you. Why would you not be liable for tax on the award simply because you had to hire a lawyer to help you?

So now I would like to know if this is the case or if im being taken advantage of.
who are you suggesting is taking advantage of you? If the attorney withholds money for taxes, they must forward those to the applicable taxing authority. If they were withheld in error, that can be corrected when you file your tax returns.

the bigger question is;

is the award actually taxable? Not all are.

LdiJ

Whether or not a settlement is taxable at all depends on the nature of the settlement. Its also fairly normal for a portion off a settlement to be taxable and a portion not.

The taxable portion gets reported as income, and the associated attorney fees are deductible on Schedule A.

tranquility

I agree with justalayman. The 1099 you receive will reflect your total amount. Sometimes attorney fees can be deductible. What was the settlement for?

LdiJ

OP's attorney has already advised the OP that the award is taxable.
Is the attorney an expert on taxes and therefore would know for certain that its taxable? I have seen many attorneys get that wrong in BOTH directions.

LdiJ

Some could be.
When would attorney fees needed to generate taxable income NOT be deductible? Any portion of fees that would go towards a non-taxable or partially non-taxable settlement would of course not be deductible, but off the top of my head I cannot think of any examples where attorney fees associated with a taxable or partially taxable settlement (pro-rated of course between taxable and non-taxable) would not be deductible.

justalayman

does this apply:

Generally, individuals, as cash basis taxpayers, may deduct attorneys’ fees in the year they are
paid, assuming the attorneys’ fees otherwise qualify as deductible. In the majority of such cases,
the attorneys’ fees are paid pursuant to a contingent fee arrangement once damages have been
recovered. Where the ultimate recovery is excludable from gross income, either in whole or in
part, the payment of contingent attorneys’ fees allocable to exempt income are not deductible.

IRC § 265(a)(1). The question of the timing and deductibility of attorneys’ fees paid prior to
resolution of the lawsuit on a noncontingent fee basis requires additional analysis that is not
practical to provide in this guide. Examiners should consult with the appropriate Technical
Advisor.
Numerous sections of the Code govern the deduction of attorney’s fees. The most relevant of
which are IRC sections 62(a)(relating to the definition of adjusted gross income), 162 (relating to
trade or business expenses), 212 (relating to expenses for production of income), 262 (relating to
the non-deductibility of personal, living, and family expenses), and 263 (relating to capital
expenditures). Generally, one must look to the underlying lawsuit to determine which Code
section applies. Except in rare cases, such as a compensatory recovery of self-employment
income (for example, commissions that are reported on Schedule C) or recovery of capital gain
income, legal fees will be a Schedule A miscellaneous itemized deduction, subject to the 2
percent floor and AMT
. (This, of course, assumes that the lawsuit proceeds have been taxed at
gross in the taxpayer’s income.) Nevertheless, the Tax Court has ruled adversely to the
Commissioner that a self-employed individual could deduct legal fees allocable to the recovery
of punitive damages on Schedule C, rather than as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on
Schedule A. Guill v Commissioner, 112 T.C. 325 (1999) (court held that the punitive damages
recovered by the taxpayer were Schedule C income).
Review Church v. Commissioner, 80 T.C. 1104, 1110 (1983)(fees allocated to exempt income
not deductible), a pre 1996 Amendment case, for an illustration of the need to allocate attorney
fees to the various components of the award to determine their deductibility. See also Alexander
v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 1995-51, aff’d, 72 F.3d 938 (1st Cir. 1995); IRC § 212.
If my very quick reading of that and where it came from http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/lawsuitesawardssettlements.pdf is correct, you pay taxes on the attorney's fees but depending on what the award or settlement is for, they may be deductible.

If that much is correct, I'll leave it up to the rest of you that deal with this to determine the rest.

LdiJ

does this apply:

If my very quick reading of that and where it came from http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/lawsuitesawardssettlements.pdf is correct, you pay taxes on the attorney's fees but depending on what the award or settlement is for, they may be deductible.

If that much is correct, I'll leave it up to the rest of you that deal with this to determine the rest.
What you quoted is what I said, but I put it in more layman's terms.

Where the ultimate recovery is excludable from gross income, either in whole or in
part, the payment of contingent attorneys’ fees allocable to exempt income are not deductible.
Translation: If its not taxable the attorney fees associated with it are not deductible.

Except in rare cases, such as a compensatory recovery of self-employment
income (for example, commissions that are reported on Schedule C) or recovery of capital gain
income, legal fees will be a Schedule A miscellaneous itemized deduction, subject to the 2
percent floor and AMT.
Translation: In some rare cases the attorney fees are deductible but subject to the 2% floor as miscellaneous itemized deductions.

tranquility

If they were not ordinary or necessary expenses of doing business. If they were not reasonable. If they were not paid in the same year as the settlement. If they have to be amortized. If on a wage or employment discrimination claim they are above the line while punitive damages are subject to the 2%. (Thus reducing the fee deduction by an additional 2% because it is included in income.) If received from a settlement fund the amount will be net and attorney fees a non-issue. Gosh help us if AMT applies or if the taxpayer is of high income and deductions are limited by IRC 68.

LdiJ

Ok...now I see where you were coming from. I think though that I still disagree with your characterization that they are "sometimes" deductible. All of those are pretty rare circumstances.

If they were not ordinary or necessary expenses of doing business.
Disagree slightly...ordinary and necessary expense of gaining income...otherwise attorney fees in a settlement would rarely be deductible if not connected to a business.

If they were not reasonable.
Possible...but it would be difficult for the IRS to claim attorney fees in any settlement to be "unreasonable".

If they were not paid in the same year as the settlement.
I suppose that could happen but in contingency cases the attorneys get their money before their client does.

If they have to be amortized.
Rare circumstances.

If on a wage or employment discrimination claim they are above the line while punitive damages are subject to the 2%. (Thus reducing the fee deduction by an additional 2% because it is included in income.)
Still deductible however, subject to the floor.

If received from a settlement fund the amount will be net and attorney fees a non-issue.
Yes, I do agree, however in that instance the attorney fees would not be taken into income either...which goes to the original question asked.

Gosh help us if AMT applies or if the taxpayer is of high income and deductions are limited by IRC 68.
Yes, definitely that is a factor if the taxpayer is of high income.

tranquility

Ok...now I see where you were coming from. I think though that I still disagree with your characterization that they are "sometimes" deductible. All of those are pretty rare circumstances.

Disagree slightly...ordinary and necessary expense of gaining income...otherwise attorney fees in a settlement would rarely be deductible if not connected to a business.

Possible...but it would be difficult for the IRS to claim attorney fees in any settlement to be "unreasonable".

I suppose that could happen but in contingency cases the attorneys get their money before their client does.

Rare circumstances.

Still deductible however, subject to the floor.

Yes, I do agree, however in that instance the attorney fees would not be taken into income either...which goes to the original question asked.

Yes, definitely that is a factor if the taxpayer is of high income.
Fair enough. But, the post was true and we could use more information to determine. Or, if the amount is large enough to skew all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">