• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stepdd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My step-father was a general contractor, who was repairing a fire damaged roof at a trucking company, when he fell through the roof and died. My mother, who I am looking into this for, has a probate attorney.

She is really starting to feel the pinch since my step-dad's passing. He was self employed, and while he had insurance on his employees didn't have any on himself. She is being faced with bills from his business vendors, as well as their personal bills. And it just doesn't seem right that she should be responsible for all of this, especially the business ones, with everything she has been through.

CSO286

My step-father was a general contractor, who was repairing a fire damaged roof at a trucking company, when he fell through the roof and died. My mother, who I am looking into this for, has a probate attorney.

She is really starting to feel the pinch since my step-dad's passing. He was self employed, and while he had insurance on his employees didn't have any on himself. She is being faced with bills from his business vendors, as well as their personal bills. And it just doesn't seem right that she should be responsible for all of this, especially the business ones, with everything she has been through.

What is your legal question?

I am sorry for your loss.

Antigone*

I am so sorry for your loss, but really if your father did not handle his affairs appropriately then it is something that your mother is going to have to deal with. After all she was his wife.

LdiJ

Do you know whether or not your stepfather had any kind of separate business entity? LLC, S-Corp etc.?

Your mother is not responsible for his business bills, but his estate, to the extent that he had an estate WOULD be responsible if there was no separate business entity. His business equipment would be part of that estate and should be sold to cover bills.

OHRoadwarrior

I am sorry for your loss. Your father was hired as a contractor to fix the roof. It was his obligation to take the needed safeguards to complete the job without injury. It was his and moms responsibility to make sure he had insurance on himself. You have no recourse against the trucking company unless you feel they did something overt to make the roof he was working on fall in while he was on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">