• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Death - Withholding of potentially life-saving information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aureliano

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I am having trouble finding an attorney that will take this case. I will provide some brief relevant facts here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just need to know how to find someone that will take the case, or if it does not make sense to pursue the case. This is for my sister that died earlier in 2016.

I, along with many others believe that her husband may have poisoned her, leading to her death. The problem is that she was cremated, and there is probably not enough solid evidence for a criminal case. So we wanted to pursue a wrongful death case. Our interest is not financial gain, but for him to answer for his actions.

We do have evidence that he withheld information about dangerous symptoms that he noticed. If this information was revealed, she may have survived.

We suspect that he either poisoned her at worst, or maliciously withheld the information at best. There are many reasons to believe that he was malicious, but I don't want to go into great detail here. I don't want the suspected person to see it.

He is living with their child and we are concerned for the child's safety.

The father and child have left the state and cut off contact with the friends and family of the child's mother that died.

How would we find an attorney for a wrongful death case like this?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess

I am having trouble finding an attorney that will take this case. I will provide some brief relevant facts here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just need to know how to find someone that will take the case, or if it does not make sense to pursue the case. This is for my sister that died earlier in 2016.

I, along with many others believe that her husband may have poisoned her, leading to her death. The problem is that she was cremated, and there is probably not enough solid evidence for a criminal case. So we wanted to pursue a wrongful death case. Our interest is not financial gain, but for him to answer for his actions.

We do have evidence that he withheld information about dangerous symptoms that he noticed. If this information was revealed, she may have survived.

We suspect that he either poisoned her at worst, or maliciously withheld the information at best. There are many reasons to believe that he was malicious, but I don't want to go into great detail here. I don't want the suspected person to see it.

The father and child have left the state and cut off contact with the friends and family of the child's mother that died.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Is it safe to say the police don't think anything suspicious happened?

If you can't find an attorney to take the case, it usually means that they don't think there is a case at all or that it wouldn't be financially viable.

Again, my condolences.

quincy

I, too, am sorry for the loss of your sister.

I do not see that you will have much luck finding an attorney to assist you or, at this point, any reason to find an attorney. You might have suspicions about your brother-in-law but suspicions alone will not support a legal action.

Instead of an attorney, you might consider hiring a private detective to look with more depth into the death of your sister. In the meantime, I strongly recommend you refrain from saying anything publicly about your sister's husband, the father of your niece/nephew. You do not want to be sued for spreading false and defamatory stories about him. You also do not want to harm your sister's child with false tales about her father.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...I strongly recommend you refrain from saying anything publicly about your sister's husband, the father of your niece/nephew. You do not want to be sued for spreading false and defamatory stories about him. You also do not want to harm your sister's child with false tales about her father.
And, if they ever want to have any hope of seeing the child again, they should probably refrain.

Silverplum

FYI: Dad doesn't have to allow you or anyone else to see or speak with his child. You have no "case" there, either.

quincy

And, if they ever want to have any hope of seeing the child again, they should probably refrain.
I agree.

I certainly can understand a father cutting off contact with his dead-wife's family members if they are openly blaming him for her death. Without proof that the father had anything to do with the death of his wife, they could easily face a defamation lawsuit by continuing with the accusations.

Dandy Don

Was it the husband who made the decision regarding the cremation or had your sister made that decision prior to her death?

What material do you suspect that he poisoned her with?

What is the cause of death as listed on the death certificate?

Is there an autopsy on file somewhere in the county and have you looked at it?

You can start interviewing with wrongful death attorneys in your area to see if anyone would be interested in pursuing your case, but an attorney would probably ask for a significant upfront retainer fee--can you afford that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">