+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1

    Wrongful Death - Withholding of potentially life-saving information

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

    I am having trouble finding an attorney that will take this case. I will provide some brief relevant facts here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just need to know how to find someone that will take the case, or if it does not make sense to pursue the case. This is for my sister that died earlier in 2016.

    I, along with many others believe that her husband may have poisoned her, leading to her death. The problem is that she was cremated, and there is probably not enough solid evidence for a criminal case. So we wanted to pursue a wrongful death case. Our interest is not financial gain, but for him to answer for his actions.

    We do have evidence that he withheld information about dangerous symptoms that he noticed. If this information was revealed, she may have survived.

    We suspect that he either poisoned her at worst, or maliciously withheld the information at best. There are many reasons to believe that he was malicious, but I don't want to go into great detail here. I don't want the suspected person to see it.

    He is living with their child and we are concerned for the child's safety.

    The father and child have left the state and cut off contact with the friends and family of the child's mother that died.

    How would we find an attorney for a wrongful death case like this?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Incredulous disbelief
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by Aureliano View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

    I am having trouble finding an attorney that will take this case. I will provide some brief relevant facts here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just need to know how to find someone that will take the case, or if it does not make sense to pursue the case. This is for my sister that died earlier in 2016.

    I, along with many others believe that her husband may have poisoned her, leading to her death. The problem is that she was cremated, and there is probably not enough solid evidence for a criminal case. So we wanted to pursue a wrongful death case. Our interest is not financial gain, but for him to answer for his actions.

    We do have evidence that he withheld information about dangerous symptoms that he noticed. If this information was revealed, she may have survived.

    We suspect that he either poisoned her at worst, or maliciously withheld the information at best. There are many reasons to believe that he was malicious, but I don't want to go into great detail here. I don't want the suspected person to see it.

    He is living with their child and we are concerned for the child's safety.

    The father and child have left the state and cut off contact with the friends and family of the child's mother that died.

    How would we find an attorney for a wrongful death case like this?
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

    Is it safe to say the police don't think anything suspicious happened?

    If you can't find an attorney to take the case, it usually means that they don't think there is a case at all or that it wouldn't be financially viable.

    Again, my condolences.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    22,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Aureliano View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

    I am having trouble finding an attorney that will take this case. I will provide some brief relevant facts here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just need to know how to find someone that will take the case, or if it does not make sense to pursue the case. This is for my sister that died earlier in 2016.

    I, along with many others believe that her husband may have poisoned her, leading to her death. The problem is that she was cremated, and there is probably not enough solid evidence for a criminal case. So we wanted to pursue a wrongful death case. Our interest is not financial gain, but for him to answer for his actions.

    We do have evidence that he withheld information about dangerous symptoms that he noticed. If this information was revealed, she may have survived.

    We suspect that he either poisoned her at worst, or maliciously withheld the information at best. There are many reasons to believe that he was malicious, but I don't want to go into great detail here. I don't want the suspected person to see it.

    He is living with their child and we are concerned for the child's safety.

    The father and child have left the state and cut off contact with the friends and family of the child's mother that died.

    How would we find an attorney for a wrongful death case like this?
    I, too, am sorry for the loss of your sister.

    I do not see that you will have much luck finding an attorney to assist you or, at this point, any reason to find an attorney. You might have suspicions about your brother-in-law but suspicions alone will not support a legal action.

    Instead of an attorney, you might consider hiring a private detective to look with more depth into the death of your sister. In the meantime, I strongly recommend you refrain from saying anything publicly about your sister's husband, the father of your niece/nephew. You do not want to be sued for spreading false and defamatory stories about him. You also do not want to harm your sister's child with false tales about her father.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    64,960
    Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    ...I strongly recommend you refrain from saying anything publicly about your sister's husband, the father of your niece/nephew. You do not want to be sued for spreading false and defamatory stories about him. You also do not want to harm your sister's child with false tales about her father.
    And, if they ever want to have any hope of seeing the child again, they should probably refrain.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Where you can copy from my work
    Posts
    30,132
    FYI: Dad doesn't have to allow you or anyone else to see or speak with his child. You have no "case" there, either.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    22,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    And, if they ever want to have any hope of seeing the child again, they should probably refrain.
    I agree.

    I certainly can understand a father cutting off contact with his dead-wife's family members if they are openly blaming him for her death. Without proof that the father had anything to do with the death of his wife, they could easily face a defamation lawsuit by continuing with the accusations.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    9,754
    Was it the husband who made the decision regarding the cremation or had your sister made that decision prior to her death?

    What material do you suspect that he poisoned her with?

    What is the cause of death as listed on the death certificate?

    Is there an autopsy on file somewhere in the county and have you looked at it?

    You can start interviewing with wrongful death attorneys in your area to see if anyone would be interested in pursuing your case, but an attorney would probably ask for a significant upfront retainer fee--can you afford that?


+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Can you sue someone for saving your life?
    By nay1987 in forum Other Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 07:25 PM
  2. right to life saving meds denied?
    By special mom in forum Education Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2008, 08:40 AM
  3. Withholding Information Upon Death of Mother
    By legacy in forum Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 08:05 AM
  4. withholding information on Life Insurance Agency from Beneficiary
    By tlcmartin in forum Life Insurance & Annuities
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 09:31 AM
  5. Need Advice and Information For Saving Taxes
    By bhavikkgandhi in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2005, 08:07 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.