• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Young kids join us outside to play. Am I liable if something happens to them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Goldar

When we're outside with the kids riding bikes, skating, etc., sometimes a neighbor's 6 & 7 year-old kids will come running out and join us. It's come to our attention that the family might be a tad litigious. Their parents are NEVER present outside and I've barely had any conversation with them. I've never formally accepted responsibility for their kids supervision, although on occasion I've called out to them to correct some behavior for their safety. Standing on a swing, riding in the street, etc.
I understand that on my property I could be held responsible for injuries, but have I accepted any level of "caregiver" status if we're outside walking the dog, riding bikes or whatever away from our property... and these kids join us? Let's say one of them darts in front of a car and gets hit. I'm the adult on the scene. They were walking along with us. Any 3rd party is going to assume the kids are with me.

xylene

Their parents are NEVER present outside and I've barely had any conversation with them.
Though it is dreadfully un-American to even appear to be correcting others parenting, this is what you need to rectify.

Just Blue

Though it is dreadfully un-American to even appear to be correcting others parenting, this is what you need to rectify.
I disagree. It is very "American" to talk to another parent. I do it all the time. And it is very "American" to appear to correct others parenting. CPS does this every 3 min's of every day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">