• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$11,000 Sewer Issue I was not informed of at time of purchase 2 months ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarmerJ

JJ so you know, you can just reply to your own post and then tell us a bit more, If you made error about trying to fit it all into subject line you can tell us a bit more like what state you live in , how it came to be that you now have a home that has a impending sewer improvement / assessment .

JJGibson

Preview Button ....

I apologize for the preview button issue, allow me to restate my previous post.

I purchased a home two months ago and signed an Acceptance and Waiver when I closed on our home. After a month I started experiencing sewer issues and finally had to get professional help. They did temporarily resolve the issue, but discovered by camera that the sewer needs $11,000 worth of repairs. In speaking with neighbors it seems that the previous owners had similar issues and regularly had plumbers on site. They even went as far as to install an exterior clean out to aid the process. None of this was disclosed in the disclosure form that they provided, and when asked specifically marked "Not Defective" under plumbing, and when asked if the sewer needed any additional improvements they marked as "No". Since I signed a waiver at the time of closure saying that I accept the home in "As-Is" condition, I am not sure if I have any legal recourse. I am currently attempting to track down the plumbers who did the previous work, but I am sure they must have been aware of the extent of the issue. What do you think?

LdiJ

I apologize for the preview button issue, allow me to restate my previous post.

I purchased a home two months ago and signed an Acceptance and Waiver when I closed on our home. After a month I started experiencing sewer issues and finally had to get professional help. They did temporarily resolve the issue, but discovered by camera that the sewer needs $11,000 worth of repairs. In speaking with neighbors it seems that the previous owners had similar issues and regularly had plumbers on site. They even went as far as to install an exterior clean out to aid the process. None of this was disclosed in the disclosure form that they provided, and when asked specifically marked "Not Defective" under plumbing, and when asked if the sewer needed any additional improvements they marked as "No". Since I signed a waiver at the time of closure saying that I accept the home in "As-Is" condition, I am not sure if I have any legal recourse. I am currently attempting to track down the plumbers who did the previous work, but I am sure they must have been aware of the extent of the issue. What do you think?
You should probably consult a local real estate attorney. That was a material defect that was not disclosed. A local real estate attorney can review the waiver you signed to see if that precludes you suing due to a material undisclosed defect.

FarmerJ

Call the local plumbers/ sewer cleaning / repair ( or if septic system instead of city sewer then local septic contractors -excavators-honey sucker firms ) companies in your area ask them if they have any records of servicing your address if any are willing to tell you yes and what it was they did , that information may well help seal the deal in going after the seller.

OHRoadwarrior

This may fall into one of the gray areas, like lead paint. Unless the previous owner cam'd the line, damage is pure speculation.

LdiJ

This may fall into one of the gray areas, like lead paint. Unless the previous owner cam'd the line, damage is pure speculation.
I totally disagree...However it doesn't matter that I disagree. The OP should consult a local real estate attorney with all paperwork in hand.

csi7

Two other things I suggest as well, check the weather pattern for that area with the plumbing problems (Example: heavy rainfall, drought, etc...). The second thing is sit down with the information available, and consider all the things that happened prior to signing the paperwork (conversations, communications, paperwork, etc...).

This will help you to know what you're facing with this issue. A visit with an attorney will be more effective with your case work being available.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">