• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 year old debt preventing me from selling my house! Need help and advice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bren99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am trying to sell my house. I found out through the prothonotary's office that I have an old debt from 2001 on my record that was never taken off my name even though it was settled 16 years ago. The lawyer's number is no longer in service and I cannot find any other contact info for him. The company that the debt was with has been bought out about three different times. I have no records of the case either. It was 16 years ago.

I need help and advice to take care of this so that I can sell my house now, not later. This is in Smethport, PA. Is there a lawyer willing to help me take care of this? I had someone tell me I need to file a motion or something in court and when I call the courthouse and judges office, they have no idea what I'm talking about and keep telling me they can't give me legal advice. ?????

What can I do? Anyone? I really need to get this resolved as soon as possible.:mad:

FlyingRon

On what "record"?
The prothonotary keeps track of a number of things from court costs/fines/probation costs to payments on judgements to child support.
I suspect there's a judgement recorded that isn't shown as satisfied and such is blocking the banks from wishing to offer financing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">