• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 bad roomates and i want out of lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nalan92

my 18 yr old daughter signed a 1 year lease with 2 others...one of her roommates beat her up so we have moved her back home. the roommates refuse to terminate the contract and the apartment complex will not allow us to terminate or be taken off the lease without permission from the other two roommates permission... the other 2 have no credit, no decent jobs and can't afford to pay.... shouldn't the complex have run a credit check on these creeps?...how can i get my daughter out without?

T

Tracey

I don't know that you can get her off the lease. However, you can get the rommie out of the apt. Then your daughter could find new roomies.

1. File charges for assualt immediately. Then obtain a restraining order. If your daughter moves back in & can list the apt as her address, the court will require the one roommie to move out. If R2 aided or encouraged R1 in beating your daughter, she can file charges & get a restraining order against R2 also. Once they are facing forced eviction by the court, they will probably agree to terminate the contract rather than have to move.

2. Sue L for breach of the right of quiet enjoyment for not evicting R1. L will either evict R1 or have to let D out of the lease. You'll have to check your state laws to see what kind of notice & time to respond you have to give L.

3. Stop paying rent & inform L in writing that she has abandoned the apt. The worst that can happen is that L sues her & you have to pay the judgment.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">