• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$250 Owed. Is it worth court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

isittime

My Fiancée shared a house with three other roommates for the monthly rental fee of 650. She actually sublet from the two roommates that were on the lease, and paid an initial "cleaning deposit" of $775. In April I moved into my fiancée’s space and after moving in was asked to pay a total of $250 a month (100 to one roommate because the bathroom was shared, and 75 to each other because they had their own). At no time did they ever request, verbally or written, any notice upon me moving out. When my Fiancée and I got married she gave 30 days notice which required her to pay an additional 1/2 months rent. Which she paid in full. Finally, after several other disputed payments, the one tenant who actually deposited her "cleaning deposit" into his personal bank account return a check less $250 claiming that I owed them for leaving mid month and that I too was obligated to pay for the additional 15 days plus the 15 days I lived in the house prior to paying my first months rent (they are just now claiming that, it was never asked for before). This seems like an open and shut case for Small claims, am I correct? They are also threatening that if we take the to court they will pursue additional charges relating to Utilities incurred after we moved out. Since utilities are a variable cost and are cancelable immediately, can we be held accountable for charges after we vacated the residence? Thanks for any advice.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by isittime:
My Fiancée shared a house with three other roommates for the monthly rental fee of 650. She actually sublet from the two roommates that were on the lease, and paid an initial "cleaning deposit" of $775. In April I moved into my fiancée’s space and after moving in was asked to pay a total of $250 a month (100 to one roommate because the bathroom was shared, and 75 to each other because they had their own). At no time did they ever request, verbally or written, any notice upon me moving out. When my Fiancée and I got married she gave 30 days notice which required her to pay an additional 1/2 months rent. Which she paid in full. Finally, after several other disputed payments, the one tenant who actually deposited her "cleaning deposit" into his personal bank account return a check less $250 claiming that I owed them for leaving mid month and that I too was obligated to pay for the additional 15 days plus the 15 days I lived in the house prior to paying my first months rent (they are just now claiming that, it was never asked for before). This seems like an open and shut case for Small claims, am I correct? They are also threatening that if we take the to court they will pursue additional charges relating to Utilities incurred after we moved out. Since utilities are a variable cost and are cancelable immediately, can we be held accountable for charges after we vacated the residence? Thanks for any advice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This post was responded to already.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">