• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd Trust Deed-Forclosure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Romy

I live in California. We stopped making payments on our house on the first and the second mortage in March of 98'. Our second mortgage was sold to another company in 99'. 4 years later, this company is calling us and telling us that they are prepared to take us to court for the remaining balance of the second mortgage which is $23,600. We thought this was all handled in the forclosure. What is the statute of limitations on this loan and can we really be sued? We do not have anything, money, property, etc. Are we facing bankruptcy?:confused:

R

Romy

Is there a Statute of Limitations on how long a real estate lender can wait to sue? It's been 4 years since the last payment.

R

Romy

Ok, so I guess they are trying to sue on a Promissory Note. Thanks for your help.

HomeGuru

I wish to clarify my last post which I responded to without re-reading your inital post.
If your property went though foreclosure and the foreclosure was completed, the 2nd mortgage is not secured.
Therefore, you just have a deficiency judgement against you.
If this is correct, the judgement amount can be discharged in BK.

Last edited:
R

Romy

Well, I do appreciate all of your help. We are trying to avoid a BK. Hopefully the company will work with us and accept a payment that will satisfy both parties. We did borrow the money and if we can pay it back, then that is what I would want to do. I guess most people would think that we are crazy to want to do that. It will be tough but we will give it our best shot. Again, I thank you for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">