• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

30 day notice amoung roommates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaredluse

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My roommate is moving out on August 1st. We had discussed him moving out on the 28, and he told me on the 11th that he might be moving at the beginning of the month, but that he wasn't sure. Well, on the 20th of July he told me that he was moving out for sure. I have spoken with the management, who said that he gave them notice to move to another apartment in the same complex on the 10, which would make him responsible till the 10th. My question is that since he told me he was moving for sure on the 20th, would he be responsible for rent till the 20th of August?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My roommate is moving out on August 1st. We had discussed him moving out on the 28, and he told me on the 11th that he might be moving at the beginning of the month, but that he wasn't sure. Well, on the 20th of July he told me that he was moving out for sure. I have spoken with the management, who said that he gave them notice to move to another apartment in the same complex on the 10, which would make him responsible till the 10th. My question is that since he told me he was moving for sure on the 20th, would he be responsible for rent till the 20th of August?
**A: what do you actually have in writing as to roommates lease term and notice to vacate?

jaredluse

Well, we are both on the Rental Agreement. We didn't write anything down when we moved in. We were on a lease, but that has expired.

HuAi

What does the lease say about automatic renewal? Some leases renew for a year at a time, others let you continue as month-to-month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">