• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

9 Owners, 1 Tiny Piece of Land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dianama

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Behind my home is a very small piece of land where there is a well-house that used to service the 9 shared-well users in this neighborhood. I was one of them. The well was old and the pipes broke every year resulting in large repair bills. One by one we have all dropped out of the shared well and put in our own individual wells. I would like to acquire this property, as it is right off my back yard. I don't have much money, but the cost of capping off and abandoning the old well will cost about $1,000.00. I thought I might offer to pay that cost, in exchange for each of the other 8 owners relinquishing their right to the property. Is this fair? Is it legal? How should I word a letter/form that they would sign off on?

justalayman

well, the first thing you need to do is determine who actually holds title to the lot. The rights to the water and the ownership of the land can be two seperate items.

so, is the property jointly owned by all users of the well or is it one owner with water rights to the 9 adjacent property owners?

dianama

Joint ownership by the 9 former well users. As of today, there are no more water rights as the well head was capped off and removed. What a mess in my back yard!

I looked up the lot on my county's tax rolls and it shows $0.00 on all the collection points. A lady at the county office says the taxes are probably divvied up equally to each of the 9 homeowners' taxes.

She said I should go to the title office and purchase title insurance to establish myself as the future owner. I'm afraid of laying out a lot of money and then not be successful in acquiring the lot.

That's where things stand as of now...

justalayman

She said I should go to the title office and purchase title insurance to establish myself as the future owner. I'm afraid of laying out a lot of money and then not be successful in acquiring the lot.
she lost me on that one. Purchasing title insurance does not convey title, in any way.

If there are no water rights, then you simple need to negotiate with each and every one of the owners in your attempt to purchase the land. Don't be surprised if you are not the only one with this idea or there is a hold out that just doesn't want to give up their ownership.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">