• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonded Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Goodwitch

I live in Texas, and across the street from me, is some property that my husband and I wish to acquire. I have contacted both the school and county and found out that 3 of the 4 lots are severely delinquent in back taxes. I know that the original owner is dead, but is still isted as one of the owners of 3 of the lots.
The county has brought suit, for the back taxes, 6/99, but has yet to do anything with the suit, I have made arrangements to purchase the 4th lot from its listed owner. How do I go about acquiring the property prior to auction, when the county says it could take another 3 to 5 years before it comes up for sale. At that time, the taxes owed will be Higher than the real value of the property, and we wish to use it for animals any how. Is there some sort of lien or writ of abandonment that we can file to aquire the deed along with paying the taxes????? :confused:
Any help at all would be appreciated.. Thank You

Also, The taxes have not been paid since 1982, does that along with the general shape of the property prove abandoment?

HomeGuru

At this point the only way to aquire the property is to have the estate or new owner give or sell it to you.

G

Goodwitch

How do you go about locating the person in charge of the estate of the deceased owner? Is it a matter of public record, and what county would I look in if the owner had multiple holdings? Thank you

5geckos

You can find this information out from probate records.

You should also find out the laws in your state regarding whats called "silent" or "quiet" title proceedings. This is where you go before a judge and seize interest in real estate by presenting a good cause or reason as to why you should hold interest. If you make your case, the judge can simply appoint the real estate to you. Seek the advice of legal council on this as I am not a legal proffesional and don't live in TX.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">