• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned lot!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DancingDeb

We purchased our home on a 1 acre lot almost 11 years ago. There are seven homes on our street that each sit on 1 acre lots. There is a 1/2 acre lot between our home and the home next to us, that was originally left as a rightaway for the farmer who owns the corn field in back of our homes. He never uses it and does not take care of the lot. I have been mowing it for 11 years now since no one else would do it. I was told by a friend that after a certain amount of time of someone not tending to their property, they can loose it to whoever has been taking care of it. This sounded pretty unrealistic to me so I thought I should ask an expert.

------------------

T

Tracey

No, to get the land by adverse possession, you have to exert exclusive control over it -- fence it off so the farmer can't use it, declare to the world it's yours, pay taxes on it, etc. What you've been doing is giving F a gift of free lawn care. You decided that it was worth the time & expense of mowing the grass yourself because you didn't want to live next to a meadow.

If what you really want to accopmlish is to force F to cut his own grass, you'll need to find a zoning law or restrictive covenant on the deeds requiring a certain minimum level of lawn care, then complain to the zoning enforcement board until they start ticketing F & he starts cutting the grass. Alternatively, you could talk to F & see about buying the lot, or about formalizing the mowing arrangement & getting paid.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">