• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned Property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Ginger

While my stepdaughter was living on my property (Idaho) she started to buy a mobile home and then backed out of the contract and moved away. Several times I've asked the neighbor who owns the 'trailer' to please remove it from my land because I consider it a liability since it's surrounded by decomposing bales of hay and neighborhood children play in it because it won't lock. How do I get this man to take responsibility for his property and remove it from my land?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ginger:
While my stepdaughter was living on my property (Idaho) she started to buy a mobile home and then backed out of the contract and moved away. Several times I've asked the neighbor who owns the 'trailer' to please remove it from my land because I consider it a liability since it's surrounded by decomposing bales of hay and neighborhood children play in it because it won't lock. How do I get this man to take responsibility for his property and remove it from my land?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct as to your liability but it goes even deeper. Since the neighborhood children play in it due to the unlocked door, the trailor is considered an attractive nuisance. Being that the trailor is on your property, you must mitigate liability by securing the door so that the children can not gain access. It does not matter how you do this and if you nail it, board it up, weld it, chain it etc. But if you don't, you will be held negligent if a child gets injured, because the trailor is on your property.

You may call the police (if the trailor is considered personal property). You should also call your own homeowners insurance company for advice. Send the neighbor a certified letter demanding that the trailor be moved by a certain date or you will file legal action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">