• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

access to personal property after verbal eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Halee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am a 23 year old mother of one child living in LOUISIANA that has been in an on/off relationship with my child's father for a little over 5 years. In April my boyfriend (now ex) purchased a house for us. My name is not on any legal documents to the house and neither is his. (His sister & brother in law actually purchased the house from a foreclosure & payed outright cash in the full amount). My Ex has all of the bills in his name but the deed to the house is not in his name.
I started moving my personal belongings into said house at the beginning of June. Granted, neither one of us have actually lived in the house yet. It is still undergoing maintenance & construction repairs. Although all of my clothes, furniture, jewelry, and other valuables are there, I have not technically moved my body in yet.
Yesterday 7/28, he broke up with me & told me to give him the key to "his"house back. He gave me ONE day to get my things out. I could not even start to gather my things because I do not have a moving truck & cannot move big, heavy furniture by myself.
He is now telling me he is changing the locks tomorrow , 7/30, so I need to get my things out by then or I will not be able to access them.
Keep in mind that we do not have any lease agreement or anything in writing, such as bills with my name on it, stating that I have any rights to the house.
What I am trying to figure out, is if he is legally able to give me ONE day to gather my personal property before changing the locks. Is it legal that he can change the locks after a one day notice for me to collect my things? Is it legal for him to do this even though there is nothing in writing stating that I had any part in purchasing the house? Please help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am a 23 year old mother of one child living in LOUISIANA that has been in an on/off relationship with my child's father for a little over 5 years. In April my boyfriend (now ex) purchased a house for us. My name is not on any legal documents to the house and neither is his. (His sister & brother in law actually purchased the house from a foreclosure & payed outright cash in the full amount). My Ex has all of the bills in his name but the deed to the house is not in his name.
I started moving my personal belongings into said house at the beginning of June. Granted, neither one of us have actually lived in the house yet. It is still undergoing maintenance & construction repairs. Although all of my clothes, furniture, jewelry, and other valuables are there, I have not technically moved my body in yet.
Yesterday 7/28, he broke up with me & told me to give him the key to "his"house back. He gave me ONE day to get my things out. I could not even start to gather my things because I do not have a moving truck & cannot move big, heavy furniture by myself.
He is now telling me he is changing the locks tomorrow , 7/30, so I need to get my things out by then or I will not be able to access them.
Keep in mind that we do not have any lease agreement or anything in writing, such as bills with my name on it, stating that I have any rights to the house.
What I am trying to figure out, is if he is legally able to give me ONE day to gather my personal property before changing the locks. Is it legal that he can change the locks after a one day notice for me to collect my things? Is it legal for him to do this even though there is nothing in writing stating that I had any part in purchasing the house? Please help.
You can certainly get at least a full car load of clothes and valuables out in one day, so at least the heck do that.

However, he cannot deny you access to your property. He can change the locks and make you make arrangements with him to retrieve your property, but he cannot deny you access.

Dave1952

If his family owns the house then he does not but neither of you reside there so why did you move things into this house? What do the owners of the house think of your problem?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">