• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding my husband to my house deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tatrudil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
my husband and i live in md. i bought our house 6 ago and we have been married for 4 yrs. we never put my husbands name on anything. i always thought that if his name was on there then it would hurt him with purchasing a bigger home for our family as a first time homebuyer. is that true? what should we do?

FlyingRon

I can't imagine that your husband's name on the deed makes one bit of difference as far as getting financing for another house. Generally they're going to count all your assets and liabilities as a married couple together, regardless of whehter they are only in one person's name or the other.

As JETX says, there can be downsides to changing the deed. A deed isn't a membership in a club. You will be giving him half the property, irrevocably.
Now, if there was no equity in the place when you were married, and you've both been contributing to it, then it probably should be a marital asset in both names, but if you had substantial premarital equity in the place, then you'll have to look with great introspection as to whether your marriage is real enough that you want to commit all your assets to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">