• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding name to deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lorrie24

What is the name of your state? New York
My mother wants to add my name to the deed of her house. We would be joint owners with survivor rights. What forms are required and where should they be filed? What, if any, are the tax implications.

M

meerkat3232

Similar deal

Lorrie,

Hi, I just did the same thing. I took over my mother's affairs as she is getting to old to do so herself, and one of them was taking over her home. We just did a quit claim deed, making me the sole owner, and her the one with survivorship rights. Taxwise would depend on the state. In my case my realator had to fudge a few numbers in the paperwork to keep me from having to pay any state tax for taking over the property when there was no actual exchange of monies. And as far as claiming the benefits on annual tax filings (provided the house is mortgaged), I think that only one of you can claim the property.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

lorrie24 said:
What is the name of your state? New York
My mother wants to add my name to the deed of her house. We would be joint owners with survivor rights. What forms are required and where should they be filed? What, if any, are the tax implications.
**A: quit claim deed, legal description, conveyance tax form etc. filed at the recorder's office. Make sure there is no due on sale (or transfer) clause in the mortgage note. Tax questions should be posted in the proper tax forum.

L

lorrie24

Current registry of deed

My mother's house has no mortagage. It was jointly owned by my parents. My father died nine years ago. I have just learned that my father had a will, leaving the house and everything else to my mother, but she has no recollection of this will being filed. Where do I go to research the current status of the deed? And should or must this "will" be filed before a quit claim deed is filed giving my mother and me joint ownership?

Last edited:

berniebing

how is the deed titled? did mom and dad buy as husband and wife? your mom should go to estate planning lawyer before making any transfer of the deed to you and her.

go to county clerk's office in the county where you live; you can get form for deed at many stationary stores; blumberg forms are best; you also need a tp584 and rp5217 which you can usually get at the county clerk's office; you also need a carbon monoxide and smoke alarm affidavit

Last edited:

HomeGuru

lorrie24 said:
My mother's house has no mortagage. It was jointly owned by my parents. My father died nine years ago. I have just learned that my father had a will, leaving the house and everything else to my mother, but she has no recollection of this will being filed. Where do I go to research the current status of the deed? And should or must this "will" be filed before a quit claim deed is filed giving my mother and me joint ownership?
**A: check with the probate attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">