• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adding / removing owners on property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

markymark

My wife and I own a home in Michigan. I wish to have my name removed from the title (deed), and my wifes parents added. There are no liens.
1) By my wife staying on the title, will we avoid realestate transfer taxes.
2) Will my title policy remain in effect since 1 of the owners is still on the deed?
3) Would I use a quit claim deed for this?
4) Do we need to acknowledge if money is involved?

HomeGuru

markymark said:
My wife and I own a home in Michigan. I wish to have my name removed from the title (deed), and my wifes parents added. There are no liens.
A: why do you want out?

1) By my wife staying on the title, will we avoid realestate transfer taxes.
A: check with the title company.

2) Will my title policy remain in effect since 1 of the owners is still on the deed?
A: see #1 above.

3) Would I use a quit claim deed for this?
A: yes.

4) Do we need to acknowledge if money is involved?
A: yes, without consideration the deed would not be worth toilet paper.

M

markymark

HomeGuru:
Thanks for the quick reply.
I am basically selling them the house. You said that the deed would be worthless if we don't acknowledge money transferring hands. But I thought that a quit claim form just transfers owners interests without specifing any stated value. We want to sell them this property but we don't want their taxes to triple.

Markymark

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">