• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Addition of Owner to House Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

judyk831

I am currently living with my parents in Los Angeles, CA and my parents would like to officially add my name to the Deed of the house so that I can receive homeowner tax breaks on my single salary income. I currently give them monthly rent but do not own any property. I was told that I need to fill out a new Grant Deed or QuitClaim deed, preliminary change of ownership report and documentary transfer taxes. Since my parents will still remain owners and I will just be an addition, how do they go about adding my name without any real tax implications? Do they have to give part of the house as a percentage to me as a gift? Or can we just be 3 equal owners of the house? If they give ownership as a gift, what tax implications are there for me and/or my parents? When they want to sell the house in the future and I do not live in the house anymore, how does this affect my taxes?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">