• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adverse possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

C Lo cdm

I am from the state of Alabama. The problem is that my husband and I have lived on the same land for 10 years. It was promised to us by my husbands mother and father. Before a will could be made, his mother died. Now his father has remarried, and the new wife is saying we either pay rent or we have to leave. We have never been asked to pay rent before, in fact the land was supposed to be signed over to us. When we moved there it was in terrible shape and we have worked really hard to make this a very nice place. It is not right for her to come in and to take this land over and try and run us off. My question is do we have any legal rights?

HomeGuru

You do not have a legal title interest in the property but you have an equitable interest. You may need to hire an attorney and sue the B!tch.

LegalBeagle

Homey: How can they sue the fathers new wife when she has no interest in the property? The issue is between this couple and the father.

Clocdm: What is the fathers take on all this?

HomeGuru

LB. good point but it is apparent that the new wife wears the pants in the family. She is the one with the balls whereas the father of the writer is a little weenie. The suit would be based on harassment, mental anguish, coercion, conspiracy etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">