• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adverse Possession??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mkline

Ok, this is pretty complicated, but I'll try to be as breif as I can. I live in Pennsylvania. My family lives on land that is in my husbands great grandmothers name. She died several years ago and her will was never probated. She had a house on this property and we have a mobile home. After her passing, her daughter and her daughters husband and children lived in the house. Her daughter died a few years later, leaving the daughters husband and adult children in the house. In 1996, the daughters husband died, leaving 3 adult children in the house. I don't know of any wills. The 3 adult children moved out, leaving the house vacant for a few years. The house was condemned and my husband and father in law paid to have it torn down. My husband and father in law have paid all taxes on this property since the house has been vacant. All tax bills come in my father in laws name. We have lived here for six years. Now, some of the adult children have expressed an interest in coming and throwing us out so they can move in. Do they have any right, or can we claim this land for our own? We have done all upkeep on the property for 6 yrs. Can anyone help?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Nothing you have provided helps me to help you.
Why you may ask?
Well, until you know who legally owns the property, you can't do anything.
The only way to find out who legally will own the property is by going through probate.
At the present time, the property is owned by the estate.

M

mkline

hypothetically...

ok, hypothetical question...say the great grandmother left it to her daughter and the daughter died leaving no will, who gets it then? Or should I adress this in another forum?:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">