• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adverse Possession "Squatter's Rights"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbwyatt2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Since 1973, first my wife's parents then me and my wife, have been maintaining a small lot (20x50) that sits between us and our neighbor that we thought we owned. Our septic finger system was even put in on part of this lot back in the late 70s. Last year we found out that someone else actually owned the lot who didnt even know he owned it.

Since we have been keeping and maintaining this piece of land for over 30 years, do we have any legal claim to ownership?

FlyingRon

It's quite possible you can make a case for adverse possession. You need to consult a real estate lawyer in the county this property is located in to pursue this. It's not automatic that you get ownership for using the property as your own, but it could be the basis for a legal action to make it so.

FarmerJ

Since it is so small it might be alot cleaner to just offer to buy it from the owner , that size parcel is gonna be too small to build a home on. You might be surprised by trying to go that route , Even if its not buildable the owner has to pay taxes on it. So it wouldnt hurt to just make a offer to buy it. Check your county property tax desk to see what its tax value is listed as , (that would not be a bad place to start since any other route could cost way way more in legal bills) A real estate atty could even handle the transaction for you so it would be done cleanly.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Since 1973, first my wife's parents then me and my wife, have been maintaining a small lot (20x50) that sits between us and our neighbor that we thought we owned. Our septic finger system was even put in on part of this lot back in the late 70s. Last year we found out that someone else actually owned the lot who didnt even know he owned it.

Since we have been keeping and maintaining this piece of land for over 30 years, do we have any legal claim to ownership?
**A: you may but it appears that you have an unrecorded easement at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">