• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

air handler unit in bathtub!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Christy

We purchased our home about 2 years ago from the orignal owners. We are working on finishing the basement but could not figure out the "roughed in" bath which included pipes only. A prof. plumber friend came in and told us that the air handler unit was placed in the only position that the tub could be installed. My question is; do we have any recourse to the air handler unit installers or the builder, at least as far as getting them to move the air handler unit to a new position for free? My gut feeling is that we are out of luck. It really makes me mad that unless you were a construction person, you would not have questioned the positioning of the unit or the plumbing. In a nutshell, they knew they did that, but did not care as long as no one picked up on it until after they received their money. Thanks, for your input!

T

Tracey

You might be able to sue the builder for breach of warranty. (Assuming the original plans called for a rough-in for a tub & not a shower.) B contracted with Seller to rough-in a bath, knowing that it wouldn't be finished that day but would eventually be finished. This may be sufficient "forwarning" to give you "privity of contract" with B so you can sue. (Normally, only S could sue since S was the other signatory to the contract.) Consult a real estate attorney to see if you can get past a 12(b)(6) motion & sue B in small claims court. B will drag the air handler installers into the suit for you.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">