• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Allowed to live on property for life?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RogerLee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have someone who lives on my property, how can I go about letting them live there for life if something happens to me but still have the property goto my children. (I want them to get the property but not be able to throw him off it)

I have a letter written that he can live on the property for life that I wrote, but not sure how it works if I was to die first.

I dont want him to be the owner, just allowed to live on the property.

Thanks

justalayman

A life estate would provide what you are looking for. It can be made effective now or if you utilize a will or properly constructed trust, upon your death.

You really should have a lawyer assist you with this so they can explain the various benefits or detriments of each possibility.

And to make sure your actions really do what you want without prematurely injuring your interests.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">