• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I being illegally billed for someone's electric?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lynni

I live in a large older house and my landlord divided a it into one big section, two small single units, and a guesthouse. I just found out I am paying for the electricityin the unit closest to me even though it is occupied. Isn't that illegal? I have the largest part of the house but they are sectioned off as a seperate unit. where do I stand? -Thanks,
Lynda

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lynni:
I live in a large older house and my landlord divided a it into one big section, two small single units, and a guesthouse. I just found out I am paying for the electricityin the unit closest to me even though it is occupied. Isn't that illegal? I have the largest part of the house but they are sectioned off as a seperate unit. where do I stand? -Thanks,
Lynda
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like there are 3-4 units. The units may be illegal. How many electric meters are there? Any submeters? You may have to contact the local electric company for verification. Do the other tenants pay for their own electricity and if so how are they billed? You may be paying for you own electricity plus the electricity of one or more of the tenants. Also verify with the tenants and the landlord.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">