• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled or can I contest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

potteramanda5

Hello Im located in Florida and have been living on a piece of property for over 30 years , maintaining the property putting money into the property, with that being said i also shared this land with my uncle who passed away in November,, his only son my cousin now resides in the house my uncle used to live in and has for the past few months.. im not sure what status the property is in because my cousin lies constantly ..the property was in my uncles name , not sure if it is now. i do know the mortgage has not been paid in several months and the land is now going through probate, will my cousin be able to sell this property like a short sell or quick claim deed and am i entitled to anything after the bank gets its share can i contest this.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you..:(:confused:

Last edited:

justalayman

Unless you were also an owner or had some contract with your uncle he would repay money you put into the property or left you some share of interest in the property you have absolutely no rights to the property. The son, barring there being a will directing the ownership elsewhere, will become owner of the property. Whether he must sell it or retain ownership would be up to him.

FlyingRon

The term is QUIT (not quick) claim.

A deed on property one doesn't own means nothing. Until the property is transferred by probate, it remains in the estate of the deceased. Depending on the will and what other debts the estate might have determined if and to whom the property will pass. I agree with justalayman's statement.

Of course, if nobody pays the mortgage, you can expect foreclosure no matter what the ownership of the property is.

FarmerJ

If you have no legal interest ( your name on title or somewhere that says you have a legal interest in the property then another way to view it would be to let it go to foreclosure and buy it your self. Of course then you would become your cousins landlord.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">