• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to a refund of part of my "last month" if I leave during that month?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hugh

: If I have notified my landlord in a timely fashion that I am moving out but move part way through the prepaid last month (on a specified date) am I entitled to a refund of the remainder of that month's rent?

: I rent an unregulated home in suburban Massachusetts "month to month", and have been there for 2 years. I need to relocate and told my landlord about 50 days before the move day. I had already paid thru to 1 week short of my move day with regular monthly payments, and last month was prepaid when I moved in. I asked for a refund of the remainder of the last month plus security, but was told that "month to month" is literal and the landlord is entiltled to the full month rent even though I would occupy only 7 days. The security is not an issue, except that I'm afraid that if I gripe he'll deduct from that as well. Any advice on how to proceed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">